1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning journeys

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jamie8, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Jamie8

Jamie8 New commenter

Hi
    I’m wondering how some of you evidence ability in the Learning Journeys. Each term for assessment, children draw a picture of themselves, try to write their name, answer maths questions, read HFW etc. We tick these accordingly. We also stick in photographs of child initiated learning related to Development Matters objectives.

There must be so many variations on sheets used for this and how it’s put together. Anyone had positive comments in regard to how they’re doing this. Seems to me whoever inspects or moderates will find an issue. I’ve not been moderated yet, but I’ve inherited a system, new to Foundation and not had the chance to look at other Learning Journeys in other schools.

Thanks in advance.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there. You record what you need to help plan for future learning. Ask yourself for every assessment you do, 'is this telling me something I didn't know'? If you know that little Johnny can read so many words and knows this many sounds from your reading records, do you need a separate assessment ?
    My advice would always be don't gather files and files of evidence based on what you think others want to see.
    I'm a profile moderator ( we also moderate the baseline in our LA too), and I'm far more interested in what teachers can tell me about their children. The learning journeys are there to support that conversation. So if a teacher says, 'yes they can do xyz', I might ask them for an example, particularly if I think the child's profile looks a bit odd.
    The area where you need samples I think is writing, in order to see if a child is at the expected level, you need to see examples. Not just writing their name though. I think you need some sort of reading record, I work with teachers who use video a lot to show children reading.
    Most LA s probably do some sort of clusters for reception teachers, can you find out and attend one? They are are great way to see what everyone else is doing.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

Following on from grumbleweed, this is why online systems are often easier. You're able to capture lots of video and pictures so don't end up with reams of paperwork. Then you can easily see gaps where you're lacking in evidence and can then use this to inform your planning.