1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Journeys and the "new" EYFS curriculum

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Shoozie17, Jul 3, 2012.

1. We are trying to get everything organised for the new term, and usually part of that is to set up our learning journey files for each child. At the moment these are A4 clip files divided into subject sections, a few colour coded pages for each subject plus a punched pocket for any loose work in each section. At the front we have a photocopied sheet with descriptors for each of the profile points, which are then marked as and when the child achieves them. We like this system, and would like to continue using it, but wondered if anyone else was in the same situation, and had worked out what to put at the front of the file instead of the old format profile points?

2. We are trying to get everything organised for the new term, and usually part of that is to set up our learning journey files for each child. At the moment these are A4 clip files divided into subject sections, a few colour coded pages for each subject plus a punched pocket for any loose work in each section. At the front we have a photocopied sheet with descriptors for each of the profile points, which are then marked as and when the child achieves them. We like this system, and would like to continue using it, but wondered if anyone else was in the same situation, and had worked out what to put at the front of the file instead of the old format profile points?

3. We are going to continue using ours and they sound similar to yours, but we do not separate them for areas of learning. We put everything in (post its, photos, focussed observations, assessments, children's individual & adult led work, homework etc) and put it in chronological order with the newest at the back. we will continue to highlight DM following on from Nursery rather than highlighting the scale points sheet and keep this at the front.

4. hurny

hurny New commenter

I am guessing you mean 'areas of learning' rather than 'subjects'.
    All you can put on your sheet instead of the profile points are DMs and ELGs. This will be difficult as there are so many.
    Personally, I put all my evidence in date order in the file as I find some observations cover more than one area of learning. I will use this evidence to see where the child fits within the DMs/ELGs and plan activities based on their next steps.
    When I went to my LA moderation, I was advised not to cross reference the evidence; that I can make a professional judgement about children's progress. I'm not sure about doing this, and I will probably use a grid of the DMs and ELGs and highlight statements for each child.
    I was on the new EYFS training today, and they emphasised that children's learning cannot be compartmentalised into a specific area of learning as they all interlink. I think most EYFS teachers keep evidence in date order rather than have pages for the areas of learning.

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

I typed post no.3 before reading post no.2 so apologies for duplicating info.