1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

learning journey question

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by toobusy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I am interested to know how common learning journeys/special books are in reception classes. I have come from a FS unit where we used them for all children, to a borough which seems to only advocate them in Nurseries. I know they can be hard work, but I love the home school links they create and the ownership the children feel of them and really want them in my reception class. Thanks

2. I am interested to know how common learning journeys/special books are in reception classes. I have come from a FS unit where we used them for all children, to a borough which seems to only advocate them in Nurseries. I know they can be hard work, but I love the home school links they create and the ownership the children feel of them and really want them in my reception class. Thanks

3. I don't do them. We aren't allowed to send any work/books home with the children - incase any of the parents disagree with a comment that has been written. I decided I'm not going to do all that work for it just to go in the bin at the end of the year! I keep post it notes in a plastic wallet (one per child) with any examples of work. assessments and checklists are kept in a ringbinder and photos are stored on a memory stick. The moderators were happy with this last time they came. They're due again this year, so will see if they're still happy. I saw a thread, on here, for Wow sheets. We are going to start using those this week - they go home with the children tomorrow. I would love to do the Learning Journals though - I have visited lots of other schools and have seen some lovely ones. I am going to start doing Topic Books next term - to record what we've done as a whole class. Then I can leave that out for the parents to see at Parent's Evenings.

4. hi i'm in the fs stage and both nursery and reception, use LJ's and special books we do learning journey/ special books every week , i love doing the special books but hate having to type up the LJ's but the parents love the special books at parents evening, just wish the whole school did them as we put so much work into them.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

So much for solidarity.