1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Intentions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jollypocket, May 6, 2012.

1. Hi there

I have an interview for a Reception post coming up. I have taught nursery, but not reception before. Am I expected to display the learning intentions? It just doesn't seem necessary for my lesson, as the children will be learning lots of things and hopefully all take something slightly different from it. I'm also think it might actually confuse them. I never displayed LIs for nursery, at most I would just explain an activity and perhaps mention a couple of reasons why it might be a good thing to do. How does it work in Reception?

Thanks.

2. I think explaining to children what they might be learning is very important. For EY children this is much better done verbally than written. There will always be children who would not be able to read.
    At this time of year though you could have it written as well, for the more able readers, for referring to at the end or during the session.

3. Thanks for your response.

Thing is, (please bear in mind i'm still in my training year so don't know everything!) in my nursery placement I always took my intentions straight from EYFS, and there might have been up to 5 or 6 of these. My lesson that I've planned for the interview again covers 5 development matters points, so I'm not sure what I'd have as my main learning intention? I was never told that it was wrong to do this, so please tell me if most people do something different!

Of course I would always explain the activity fully, which would mean telling them what I'm looking for, but I suppose this isn't really the same as telling them the learning intentions.

I'd like to have something written up to refer to, so it's clear, but currently I have too many 'intentions'!

4. hurny

hurny New commenter

I think it would be fine to have just a verbal explanation for the children, then have it written on your lesson plan for the observers.
    With regards to your lesson. Are the 5 DM points all from the same aspect of learning?

5. Fab, that's what I was thinking. Just explain clearly to the children what we're doing and why and have it clearly on my plan.

The DM points are all from different aspects of CLL, but I have acknowledged links to CD, PSE and KUW on my plan clearly, stating the related DM points.

Is that ok?