1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Intention/ Success Criteria

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Agreed this has been an interesting and enlightening thread...thank you everybody.
    Humel I love the clarity of your answer and your schools policy - one thing that has come up in other posts that you dont mention is the children generating their own success criteria.
    Your system is great, but to work must be planned and doesnt allow for the children to input on the success criteria?? (loved the idea for their input on LO though).
    [​IMG]

2. Hi Red Rum,
    Thanks :) Those are interesting points: yes, to use this system strictly you have to plan it in; we have our medium term planning setting out roughly what we'll cover each week, then the weekly planning sets out all the LOs. (At the start of each week we give the HT a copy of our weekly timetable showing the LO for each lesson so she has an overview of what each class is doing.) However, we do use assessment for learning to inform our planning, which can mean needing to revisit a LO before we move on to what we thought we were going to do - you always need to be flexible as a teacher!
    It's true that we do tend to set the success criteria ourselves as teachers, and actually this thread has made me reflect on that practice. I need to give it a bit more thought, and probably trial it with a class or two, to get my head round quite how it would work within our system, but I love the idea of it. I have a few ideas - I may well come back to this thread once I've tried them out!

3. Thanks for the reply.....a thought provoking thread indeed.
    If only our Headteacher would collect in our learning intentions and put his money where his mouth is ! Will suggest it !
    Leading an inset on this on Friday - expecting lots of tricky questions!

4. <font size="2">It is helpful to remember that the success criteria are there to help children know HOW to be successful</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">While in literacy the success criteria are ingredients in a cake &ndash; and the more ingredients the better the cake - in maths children often have to work their way through all the steps. The application of the steps with different numbers or contexts provides different levels of challenge &ndash; this applies in lessons like using a ruler as well as those involving enquiry and reasoning</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Planning the sc with the objective/intention means the teaching points are clear. They need to be based on assessment &ndash; writing a setting for a story will be an objective in several year groups but the success criteria will be very different; they may also vary for parallel classes</font><font size="2">Getting the children to generate the success criteria (unless it is brand new learning) supports teacher assessment and shows the children that have to be independent and responsible for their own learning. Be prepared to change the sc because the children are able to do more or less than you expected. Encourage children to use the success create to self/peer assess throughout the lesson in order to be even more successful. By sharing all the success criteria with all the children you may surprise them into learning. Allocating them to groups &ndash; rather like must, should and could &ndash; can put a glass ceiling on the learning. Though you can still make your expectations clear especially for the more able group.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">If learners are absolutely clear about every little step, then what is there left to teach?</font><font size="2">The success criteria should be generic and transferable &ndash; if the answer or the knowledge is in the success criteria then you are spoon feeding them.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">For example - Learning to use a number line for subtraction</font>&middot; <font size="2">Put the largest number at the end of the number line