1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Intention / Success Criteria

Discussion in 'Science' started by TEACHER16, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Hi I was wondering if someone could please tell me if the following is correct? What is the best way to think about this when planning?

Learning Objectives: <font size="3">To understand that sounds are made when objects vibrate.</font><font size="3">To understand that sounds are heard by the human ear.</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Success Criteria:</font><font size="3">I know what part of an object vibrates</font> I know we hear sounds through our ears

2. I think you need to start by looking at your learning outcomes. To understand something is not a particlar high level skill and if the success criteria is just to know then it doesnt show an inderstanding it shows the ability to recall facts. We have just had a push on making our learning objectives more challenging and making sure you use the correct terminology in them so all pupils in the class are being adequately challenged. So we can do this we have been told to look at Blooms taxonomy. There is loads of information to do with this below sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs (how I felt at the INSET into it) but I think it will help with your planning and if you get good learning objectives then the success criteria is easy.

Raising the challenge of your lessons within the Blooms Taxonomy of Higher Order Thinking.

When planning Thinking Skills activities it is helpful to be aware of Blooms Taxonomy of Higher Order Thinking.

Quick guide to:
    Blooms Taxonomy of Higher Order Thinking

Higher Order Thinking

EVALUATION:
    Making quantitative and qualitative judgements &ndash; developing opinions about the relative value of parts.

SYNTHESIS:
    Arranging and combing elements in new ways &ndash; to create a picture that was not there before.

ANALYSIS:
    Breaking information down into parts &ndash; making clear the hierarchy or relationships

APPLICATION:
    Using new information in new and concrete situations &ndash; relating information to own position

UNDERSTANDING/COMPREHENSION:
    Translating information into other forms using your own words &ndash; making an interpretation of new material

KNOWLEDGE
    Remembering and recalling facts &ndash; storing information in basic form.

Lower Order Thinking

To raise the challenge of your Key Stage 3 lessons the teacher should aim to pitch the lessons objectives and activities within the Blooms Taxonomy framework. Below is roughly how the types of thinking from Blooms Taxonomy link in with the National Curriculum Levels of Attainment.

Basic Order Thinking: KNOWLEDGE
    NC Level 2/3

Basic Order Thinking: UNDERSTANDING/COMPREHENSION
    NC Level 4

Middle Order Thinking: APPLICATION:
    NC Level 5

Middle Order Thinking: ANALYSIS:
    NC Level 5/6

Higher Order Learning: SYNTHESIS:
    NC Level 6/7

Higher Order Thinking: EVALUATION:
    NC Level 7 +

<u>Raising the challenge in your Lesson objectives:</u>
    When writing your lesson objectives be as clear and specific as possible. At the beginning of the lesson share your objectives with the class, state exactly the nature and the level of the learning intended in your lesson &ndash; use the trigger words like to evaluate, judge, justify. For example a Year 8 lesson pitched at Level 5 to 7 &ndash; a lesson objective could be - To summarise the steps involved in hearing a sound. Have no more than 2 or 3 learning objectives per lesson. Avoid mixing objectives (don&rsquo;t write &lsquo;To identify and explain&rsquo;) - always have single objectives. Avoid general phrases such as &lsquo;to know&rsquo; and &lsquo;to be able to understand&rsquo; &ndash; this is lower order. Use words that allow both the pupil and yourself to assess if the intended learning has taken place by the end of the lesson during the debrief/plenary.

So if you have a specific lesson in mind and want to pitch the lesson higher to raise the challenge use the trigger words below to help you write your lesson objectives. For example Year 8 lesson objective - to design a musical instrument and explain how it works. This is a higher order SYNTHESIS thinking objective pitched at level 6/7.

Basic Order Learning: KNOWLEDGE
    If your lesson is pitched at NC Level 2/3 then lower order-thinking tasks are required. Trigger words/activities: identify, label, list, retell.

Basic Order Learning: UNDERSTANDING/COMPREHENSION
    If your lesson is pitched at NC Level 4 then lower order-thinking tasks are required. Trigger words/activities: compare, contrast, estimate, explain.

Middle Order Learning: APPLICATION
    If your lesson is pitched at NC Level 5 then middle order-thinking tasks are required. Trigger words/activities: solve, predict, demonstrate, relate.

Middle Order Learning: ANALYSIS
    If your lesson is pitched at NC Level 5/6 then middle order-thinking tasks are required. Trigger words/activities: differentiate, categorise, speculate, outline.

Higher Order Learning: SYNTHESIS
    If your lesson is pitched at NC Level 6/7 then higher order-thinking tasks are required. Trigger words/activities: construct, build, create, summarise, design.

Higher Order Learning: EVALUATION
    If your lesson is pitched at NC Level 7+ then higher order-thinking tasks are required. Trigger words/activities: judge, justify, conclude, criticise, assess.
    <ol>[*]Knowledge: arrange, define, duplicate, label, list, memorise, name, order, recognise, relate, recall, repeat, reproduce state. [*]Comprehension: classify, describe, discuss, explain, express, identify, indicate, locate, recognise, report, restate, review, select, translate, [*]Application: apply, choose, demonstrate, dramatise, employ, illustrate, interpret, operate, practice, schedule, sketch, solve, use, write. [*]Analysis: analyze, appraise, calculate, categorise, compare, contrast, criticise, differentiate, discriminate, distinguish, examine, experiment, question, test. [*]Synthesis: arrange, assemble, collect, compose, construct, create, design, develop, formulate, manage, organize, plan, prepare, propose, set up, write. [*]Evaluation: appraise, argue, assess, attach, choose compare, defend estimate, judge, predict, rate, core, select, support, value, evaluate</ol>

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I know this may come across as checky but could you help me write the above with your advice...so I can then go on and plan this way in the future...i really want to get to grips with this. Please...id be really grateful indeed.

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Also in relation to this...on the front of a lesson plan what kind of things would be expected to be noted in the assessment box? I know this sounds silly...i just want to get my planning to the best it can be.

5. well your learning objectives could be something like:
    To understand how sounds are made
    to summarise the steps involved in hearing a sound
    The second one being higher level than the first one so more challenging. I would be inclined to just share the second one with the pupils. On my lesson plans I try to have three that gradually increase in demand and either level them with the N/C levels or just all, most, some depending on how many pupils in the class i think will be able to achieve it.
    My success criteria would be something like I can explain how we can hear a musical instrument.
    For assessment I would have your plemary be something like 'design a musical instrument and explain how we can hear it' Pupils enjoy doing this as it involves using their imagination plus it will help you to be able to easily assess their knowledge and understanding. ANy misconceptions can be easily identified and it also gives higher level pupils an opportunity to work through the levels while lower levels will still be ale to achieve something making it accessible to all.
    In the assessment box on a lesson plan you could put something as simple as Q&A or something like the plenary described above.
    Hope this is useful

6. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

This has been very useful thank you very much.

7. 'Understand' is not a particularly useful word to have in an objective as what do you mean by it. It would be far more useful to use words such as 'Describe' and 'Explain' instead. So you could have 'Be able to explain how Sound Waves are made.'.

8. Can you tell me where the information came from that links the NC levels to Blooms Taxonomy? Is this your analysis of where they should be pitching or is this set out somewhere? Thanks.