1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Hungarian

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by GroovyGuzi, Mar 17, 2012.

1. I learnt Hungarian while I was working on a EC-funded project in for five years Szombathely in the 1990s. I had to visit Hungary during this time for two weeks 3-4 times per year. It is by far the hardest language that I have ever had to learn. It has virtually nothing in common with other European languages in terms of vocabulary and grammar, and there are some completely new concepts that need to be mastered - e.g. no prepositions and possessive adjectives (it's all done by suffixes and infixes). Having said that, I found the language fascinating and I rose to the challenge. I never reached full conversational fluency, but I had very good survival skills. I was fortunate to have a private tutor who gave me one-to-one lessons, but I found the following two resources extremely useful for self-study:
    The EuroTalk series of CD-ROMs - great for memorising vocab and learning the pronunciation (which is not that difficult - and the spelling system is very regular, almost phonetic):
    http://eurotalk.com/en/
    Zsuzsa Pontifex, Hungarian / A Complete Course For Beginners (the Teach Yourself series). Book plus two CDs.
    Regards
    Graham Davies

2. Thank you Graham - I will pass that on.