1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning Focused School

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by flowerpot, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Without meaning to offend (this only my humble opinion) I have to say that it sounds a little patronising to your staff/ governors etc that you feel the need to point out to them that's what school is about. Surely it's obvious as the previous poster says - it's a school! It indicates that you have little faith in their professional abilities, which I'm sure is not the case.
    And does adding the word 'learning' to all your displays actually improve anything? Or does it simply dictate to otherwise creative people how they should present something.

And what is this sudden obsession with word 'learning' everywhere? Sorry, but it irritates me and I find it very superficial.

2. Oh, I've just noticed that you posted the same question elsewhere and I have unwittingly mostly repeated what everyone else said.
    Well at least I know I'm not the only one of that opinion now!!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This is the latest bit of stating the bleedin' obvious, is it? 'Learning focused school'?

4. I'm not sure that it's all that 'bleeding obvious' given that teaching and learning didn't even make an appearance on the thread about Headteachers' top priorities.

5. My dear old thing, us heads have far more pressing worries (challenges): bull s'ting the govs, sips and LA; our work life balance, the budget, staffing, getting our pay points, the office tea money, making sure all the paper work is in order and nicely forged for that outstanding ofsted.....Teaching and learning just happens don't you know - especially in the secondary division, where we employ people to take care of that sort of thing..................

6. And let's also take a look at the threads in the Headteachers' Forum:
    • Timetabling
    • References for VA schools
    • Online diary software
    • Averages for SEF
    • Can the school governors help to eliminate poverty?
    • Applying For My First Headship
    • Headteacher New Year Resolutions
    • Career path- where should i go next?
    • Christmas Card from the Head
    • Critically analysing meetings in your organisation
    • Learning Focused School
    • What if the Deputy refuses to step up as Acting Head?
    • IF ONLY this were SEVERAL million...
    • Secondary HTs: Are you CUTTING mfl due to the EBacc?
    • Advice needed about a bullying head teacher
    • What are the top 3 challenges you face as a Head?
    • Mission Statement
    • Was your school closed? Look at this query from a teacher
    Not a lot of teaching and learning there! While it isn't the job of the Head to do the actual T&L, it is their job to lead it, but EVERY Head I've worked under lives in their office, tapping away on the computer, fearful that teachers aren't doing the T&L well enough so spend their time inventing or downloading spurious ways to monitor T&L from the comfort of their desk, and then appears almost shocked to discover, on one of their rare forays into the corridor, that it is actually full of children.
    I think several of the threads suggest many Headteachers simply don't focus on teaching and learning.

7. You could well be right, however, as with most things, if you have not done the job it's easy to make sweeping generalisations. We do spend time at our desks, but only total **** heads lose sight of t&l... Mind there's a few of them about, just as is with **** teachers.
    Root them all out

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You might have a point, except for the fact that a fair number of these threads were not actually posted by headteachers.
    ...I think several of these threads were not posted by Headteachers, you see.

9. Maybe there is a good point here. Do your teachers actually use learning strategies when teaching? I ran a training course for teachers and some of them didnt know how to use their hands for the 9x tables.
    If you are not using accelerated learning techniques then your school is losing out.

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

From what I have seen from the friend of bill & ben on other threads, no.
    Some of the contributors here are so far behind the times that I fear for the state of the schools they are in.
    There is a difference between teaching and learning and those that can't see it (or perhaps don't want to see it) should no longer be in classrooms. All the time and money that has been spent on AfL training over the last few years has clearly been wasted on some - for the sake of flowerpot, who seems to prefer a dark cupboard, AfL is stands for Assessment for Learning...look it up on the strategies website, full of good nutritious information. [​IMG]
    I've been involved with AfL training for a couple of schools and there's a particualr part that dicusses the difference between teaching and learning; not rocket science but sensible. If flowerpot attended any AfL training I can only guess she(?) was alseep through that part.

11. Like headteachers? [​IMG]

Looks like we're back to my underpants[​IMG]

12. MisterMaker

Dear Mr Oldgit,
    As you approach the twilight of your career we at St. Edchun College on the Backwaters wish to acknowledge your dedicated service to <strike>repetition</strike> teaching <strike>the same crp</strike> without deviation or hesitation for these past forty years. We acknoeldge you help in inpruving are standerds, espicilay in spelliun. However, time waits for no man and it is with a degree of sadness we have to part in our ways.
    Your taught here for many years - whether any learning occurred is irrelevant - and things will never be the same without you; we can finally get some decent teachers in, two for the cost of hiring one dinosaur like you.
    Farewell,
    Mrs Goodrich N Famous
    Chairman of the Bored
    St.Edcchun on the Backwaters
    West of Timbuktu
    [​IMG]

13. Harsh-so harsh!

14. I wasn't aware the Laws of Physics had changed. Must have missed the CPD on that.[​IMG]

Getting that emergency degree back in '46 was the best thing I ever did. And who says a Third Class degree in Science isn't a valuable qualification - most of the other Science teachers I know have them.[​IMG]

Are you one?

15. MisterMaker

Whilst I'm not a Physics teacher, I am aware that there have been significant changes in the understanding of the "Laws of Physics". If you are still using knowledge of Physics circa 1946 you clearly are talking rubbish, especially to your students.[​IMG]
    Unless this is some kind of leg pulling and you're mocking your own failings, you've pretty much supported my argument about the need for CPD. Thankfully the time must be near for your retirement and the world of education can breath a huge sigh of relief. [​IMG]