1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning and Speaking English Language

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Iftilsi, Feb 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Iftilsi

Iftilsi New commenter

Learning and Speaking English Language

I'm not sure how learning English will help stop extremism either, many of those who have carried out/plotted atrocities have been highly educated. Speaking English does not promote integration into British, American and Australian societies, and broaden opportunities. English speaking Muslim youths are angry, frustrated and extremist, thanks to state schools with monolingual non-Muslim teachers and English language. English language is not only a lingua franca but also lingua frankensteinia. Human right are also covers linguistic right. Cultural and linguistic genocide are very common. British schooling is murdering community languages like Arabic, Urdu and others. English is today the world killer language. Linguistic genocide is a crime against humanity and British schooling is guilty of committing this crime. Language is not just a language. It defines one's culture, identity and consciousness. It defines how we think, communicate and express ourselves. The fact is the most South Asian Muslims have come to know Islam by way of Urdu, the children's alienation from the language that connects them the heritage of their parents and grandparents is disturbing. As a matter of fact, one has to get to know his mother tongue well if one is to master any other language.

He wrote in The Times how he met Muslim women, some of whom "painted an alarming picture of forced gender segregation, discrimination and social isolation from mainstream British life".
    "This is Britain. In this country, women and girls are free to choose how they live, how they dress and who they love. It's our values that make this country what it is, and it's only by standing up for them assertively that they will endure," he wrote.

The Prime Minister has privately argued that one of the main reasons why young Muslim males fall under the spell of fanatics is because their mothers have too much of a subordinate role within their communities to argue against the influence of the extremists.

He is expected to call for more Muslim women to learn the language so they can make advances in the job market and take on a more influential role.
    Prime Minister David Cameron will call on Muslim women to learn English to counter extremism.

Mr Cameron has been shocked by the fact that at least 700 people from the UK – the vast majority of them young males – have travelled to support or fight for jihadist groups in Syria and Iraq, with about half having since returned to Britain. Most who have gone are thought to have joined Islamic State.

He has argued with advisers that he needs to ‘lift the horizons’ of women in those areas where the language barrier contributes to them being trapped outside the workforce. What about all the British people living on the Costa del Sol who can't speak Spanish. They shop at Tesco, have English Pubs and watch the BBC.

The Muslim Council of Britain has objected to what it describes as an attempt to place responsibility for extremism entirely on Britain’s Muslim population, arguing that they are also ‘struggling to challenge the terrorist narrative’. Beat fanatics by teaching them English? The national language here in Israel is Hebrew. Terrorists and their terrorist harbouring families here know Hebrew - children terrorists know Hebrew. The man is an idiot. He cannot seriously believe the guff written above. If they learn English and go out and get a job, they will stop young Muslims being radicalised. The man is an incompetent feminised man, who measures everything by women taking men's jobs. Does he understand nothing at all. The UK was targeted for many years by IRA Terrorists , and THEY all spoke English , So Cameron , what is your point??????????? I really hate to say this, but Billy is right. People automatically judge a Muslim community as a ghetto before they've seen a single mosque. You never heard somebody say "Oh boy, let's play 'spot the white guy!'"? Because it's a common thing. You see the skin colour, you assume Muslim. Language and culture come secondary, because you can't pretend you care when total strangers are speaking a language you don't understand. I don't talk to strangers much anyway, so I don't much give a **** if I can't understand them.

Ishtiaq Ahmed, an independent councillor in Manning ham, said it was nonsense to suggest men did not want their wives to learn English. “If I was going to bring a wife over from Pakistan, the first thing I’d do is make sure she was learning English. It would make life a whole lot easier,” said the councillor, who is mixed race, his grandmother a Geordie of Irish extraction.
    Ahmed said it was a mistake for the prime minister to equate poor language skills with extremism. “The Asian community has built walls in Bradford so high they can’t see beyond them, but with that statement Cameron makes Muslims feel they aren’t part of mainstream Britain,” he said. “Even me, someone of mixed race, born here and very much embodying British values, I am starting to feel very disenfranchised and alienated by the current political and media discourse about Muslims.”

Not everyone in Manning ham thinks speaking English should be mandatory. Noreen Husain, 34, said people should be able to do what they want. “When white people go to Pakistan we don’t make them speak Urdu, do we?” she said in a broad Yorkshire accent. “Everyone has the right to speak whatever language they want. We’re a free country.” I question the necessity of 'integration' anyway, I don't see why anyone should have to integrate to a hostile, deeply racist country but there you go.

Islam has a following of over a Billion people. Just let that sink in for a second. A billion people.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    The truth is most Muslims are jus like the rest of us. Good hard working people, who go about their business, have families etc and enjoy living and appreciating the UK or western way of life. :)

Extremism did not start last year, even 10 years ago but back in 1991 during first gulf war and has had 25 years to brew. so a few picture and talking isn't going to solve this. plus have hearted views from Muslim community leaders who are just giving lip service to government stating either now to do with them or we're tackling it its a joke. and anyone with half a brain can smell the bull.

The solution is, why not lie detector all or just a broad section of Muslims and ask direct question their views regarding England, Christianity, there sympathies, and a direct question do you support isis? Answer is when you go around causing terrorism in Muslim countries then expect Christian countries to be targets too. You yourself said it started during gulf war when the Christian crusaders started that war. So answer is you kill their children in return they will kill yours. Christian terrorists should stop causing wars in Muslim countries will equal no terrorism in Christian countries. Simple But if you want to complicate it then we can go back to the crusades too. Which you are still engaged in.

The British people living on the Costa del Sol who can't speak Spanish but ony their mother tongue which is English. They shop at Tesco, have English Pubs and watch the BBC. What do you think about them?
    IA
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would not move to another country without a reasonable grasp of the language, and a knowledge of how the country works. I would also expect to struggle in most ways if I was dependent on translators all the time.

I also find that holiday experiences elsewhere are pretty limited if I don't speak the language.

I do share your concern about English wiping out other languages - I'm not sure though that the Middle Eastern languages of your culture are under much threat from English.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd remove all funding for translators - 100% - so all people in the UK either need to learn English or pay for their own translator. If they can't they don't get the benefit they apply for, or get found guilty in a case by default.

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I couldn't agree more! Germany doesn't pander to this kind of nonsense. When I needed to take someone to court there I had a very simple choice, speak German or pay someone else to do it for me. I remember telling the judge, in German, my German isn't very good, but my claim is very simple. He smiled, and I won my case.

5. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

Having taught in 2 'inner city' type secondary schools in SE England I would make the point that in England, GCSEs are written in English and no matter what the subject is, those children who read and speak English regularly inside and outside the classroom tend to do better. So encouraging families to speak and I should emphasise read English does help their education in England. I do find it difficult at parents evenings if the pupil is having to translate for Mum or Dad and given the huge variety of languages spoken in towns and cities across England today I cannot speak all of them. So quite rightly, in English schools, we expect to educate the pupils in English and have EAL support for the students wherever possible. It would help the pupils and parents if they spoke English too because that is what we do expect in England.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We used to have a poster on here called iftikar. He would drop in, post some long rant then disappear. Are you mrs ifti?

7. Iftilsi

Iftilsi New commenter

A primary school teacher asking her pupils in the classroom: What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual! what do you call the person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. And what do you call a person who speaks only one language? British! A Muslim child must learn and be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. At the same time he must learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with his cultural heritage and enjoy the beauty of his literature and poetry.

I'm not sure how learning English will help stop extremism either, many of those who have carried out/plotted atrocities have been highly educated. Speaking English does not promote integration into British, American and Australian societies, and broaden opportunities. English speaking Muslim youths are angry, frustrated and extremist, thanks to state schools with monolingual non-Muslim teachers and English language. English language is not only a lingua franca but also lingua frankensteinia. Human right are also covers linguistic right. Cultural and linguistic genocide are very common. British schooling is murdering community languages like Arabic, Urdu and others. English is today the world killer language. Linguistic genocide is a crime against humanity and British schooling is guilty of committing this crime. Language is not just a language. It defines one's culture, identity and consciousness. It defines how we think, communicate and express ourselves. The fact is the most South Asian Muslims have come to know Islam by way of Urdu, the children's alienation from the language that connects them the heritage of their parents and grandparents is disturbing. As a matter of fact, one has to get to know his mother tongue well if one is to master any other language.
    I have always said, the more languages you know, the broader your cultural knowledge. Those who say you must only use one language narrow their perception of the world. Also, people who can learn languages are good at playing musical instruments. Languages should be taught more in school. When I speak in Arabic I feel like a poet and when in English, I feel like a philosopher. "This mental flexibility pays big dividends especially later in life: the typical signs of cognitive ageing occur later in bilinguals – and the onset of age-related degenerative disorders such as dementia or Alzheimer’s are delayed in bilinguals by up to five years." We are amazed by being able to speak multilingual which is great Ever thought of the One God Creator Who made these languages.

Children from minority groups, especially the Muslims, are exposed to the pressure of racism, multiculturalism and bullying. They suffer academically, culturally and linguistically: a high proportion of children of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin are leaving British schools with low grades or no qualification. The demand for state funded Muslim schools is nothing to do with segregation or integration. It is purely an educational issue. British schools are not doing enough to tackle racism and promote race relations. Many teachers are unaware of racist attitudes amongst pupils. Schools have a responsibility not only to deal with racist incidents but also to prepare pupils for life in a multicultural and multiracial society.

I have been campaigning for state funded Muslim schools for the last 45 years. I set up the first Muslim school in London in 1981. Now there are 188 schools educating approximately 10% Muslim pupils and only 18 schools are state funded. I would like to see each and every Muslim child in a state funded Muslim schools with Muslim teachers. I hope my dream would come true one day.
    Indiscipline, incivility, binge drinking, drug addiction, gun and knife crimes, teenage pregnancies and abortion, homosexuality and gay marriages are part and parcel of British schooling. A Muslim is not allowed to adopt such values because they are un-Islamic. These are the reasons why majority of Muslim parents would like to send their children to Muslim schools with Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. Muslim teacher is not a priority for higher studies and research. Only less than 10% attend Muslim schools and more than 90% keep on attending state and church schools to be mis-educated and de-educated by non-Muslim monolingual teachers.
    There are hundreds of state primary and secondary schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion all such schools may be opted out to become Muslim Academies. This mean the Muslim children will get a decent education. Muslim schools turned out balanced citizens, more tolerant of others and less likely to succumb to criminality or extremism.