1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning about War using music - meet Sabaton!

Discussion in 'History' started by LisaCopeHistory, Jun 17, 2020.

1. LisaCopeHistory

LisaCopeHistory New commenter

Hi guys,

I'm new to TES and just trying to work my way around it all. I'm currently setting up some free resources for history and wondered if anyone would be able to give me some advice please. Someone suggested I post this here as I initially posted in the staff room forum.

I work with a band who sing purely about historical war events. Here's some info on them:

Sabaton is a Swedish power metal band from Falun. The band's lyrical themes are based on war, historical battles, and acts of heroism[1]—the name is a reference to a sabaton, knight's foot armor. The armor and battle theme is heard in the albums Primo Victoria, Attero Dominatus, The Art of War, Coat of Arms, Carolus Rex, Heroes, The Last Stand, and The Great War in which most of the songs contain these motifs. Their latest album, The Great War, was released on 19 July 2019, with the songs all being based on World War I. Lyrical content drawn from World War I, World War II and other historical conflicts is prevalent and lyrics often recite stories of heroic deeds by men, women, and armies.

The band are so passionate about the topics covered in their music that they have created a YouTube channel where they break down the topics covered in each song. Here's some info about the channel:

Sabaton History brings you the historical background to all Sabaton songs. Pär and Joakim from Sabaton and historian Indy Neidell from TimeGhost/World War Two will take you on an awesome adventure through the history, the creative process and untold stories behind the Sabaton songs.

You can see the channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaG4CBbZih6nLzD08bTBGfw/featured

The band have asked me if there is a way their videos could be used as teaching resources to add a new dimension to war and how it's taught in the classroom. They're an internationally recognised band (and sold out Wembley Arena this year!) who are super passionate about what they do. Does anyone have any advice as to how we can get the videos in front of history teachers for them to use as free resources? Do you feel a Google AdWords campaign would be worth it? Can we advertise via TES to promote the content to just teachers? All resources are free to use and there is no financial motive. I'm not after feedback about the videos either, just advice on how to make teachers aware of them and that they can use them for free. Any and all advice much appreciated.

Just FYI, I'm setting up some resources here on the site, I just wondered if there's anything else that someone could suggest.

To show you how pasisonate they are, on the recent album campaign, we heard about the Heugh Battery Museum being in trouble so the band mobilised their fanbase to raise money to save the museum. You can find out more about that here: https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/...saved-thanks-to-daily-and-swedish-metal-band/

Thanks so much for your time!