1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learning a foreign language

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by telmie, Mar 29, 2018.

1. telmie

telmie New commenter

Hey everyone,

What would you recommend to a learner of a foreign language? Forums, websites, platforms?
    Any advice is welcome.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually much may depend on which language you're considering.

Sometimes certain sites are better for different languages.

Dodros and telmie like this.
  3. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

...Textbooks, made of (shock horror!) paper...it doesn't all have to be online, you know.

Dodros, telmie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Dodros

Dodros Lead commenter

It all depends what your previous experience of foreign language learning has been and what your current expectations as a language learner happen to be. If you have prior knowledge of a foreign language other than the one you are studying at the moment, you will already have developed "metacognitive" skills in language pattern recognition that may be transferred to the learning of a different language. If you don't, you will be more dependent on textbooks and/or classroom instruction. As for your expectations, you may want to consider whether your goal is to master all four target-language communication skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing or to focus on just one or two of them. I, for example, deployed my degree-level proficiency in French and German first to teach secondary school students how to use and understand the spoken and written forms of these languages. Now, however, I use my knowledge of these two languages to access printed texts in unfamiliar languages such as Russian and Chinese while I pursue my hobbies and research interests during retirement.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

If you want conversation practice there are often Meetup groups you can join too.