1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learn to touch type, for free with the BBC

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SamC23, Oct 2, 2007.

1. This website was given me today, and I am already hooked:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/
    I have only ever seen learning to touch type CD Roms, like Mavis Beacon. The BBC is ace!
    I thought I would share it here. If it doesn't work, if you Google
    Dance mat BBC, it comes up.
    SamC23

2. This website was given me today, and I am already hooked:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/
    I have only ever seen learning to touch type CD Roms, like Mavis Beacon. The BBC is ace!
    I thought I would share it here. If it doesn't work, if you Google
    Dance mat BBC, it comes up.
    SamC23

3. I prefer 2type myself.

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

One comment - it doesn't make you type words from what I can see, instead only gibberish!

I have a very fast WPM when typing and I found it hard to do this because it wasn't words, and I can touch type, well in my own special way, but I certainly don't need to look at the keys and I can achieve a speed comparable with most proper PAs!

5. Love it!

6. If you keep going, it does get to words, after the gibberish.
    SamC23

7. this program is great, i missed the first 15 mins of |Murphays law coz i was hooked, im putting my class on it!

8. I use this every morning in my class - each child has 15 minutes on it per week. Already, about half of my year 3s have begun to touch type, or at least they are placing thir fingers in the right places on the keyboard. It really is very very good.

9. We used the site and the children loved it, many chose to practise at home too!

10. Thank you for the link - I might not spend as long typing my assignments when I've mastered it!

11. Lots of fun!!

12. thefairyteacher

thefairyteacher New commenter

Looks great, would anyone do it with Year 2s?
    Thanks

13. Great site. Never has so early on a Saturday morning been such fun. Just spent nearly an hour on it! After all these years of "plinky plonky" on the keys there is hope for me yet as a typist!!!My class will love it

14. Thanks very much for pointer - looked at this programme and love it! I have a year 4 able boy where writing is a real barrier to his learning but loves ICT. I hope this will encourage him to learn to touch type. thanks again, Kate

15. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

BBC Typing is great! And I think it is the best one for children. But even more fun is
    http://www.freetypinggame.net/
    I play the asteroids game every couple of days, and my touch typing is slowly improving. It's great fun!

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Its one oththe most importan skills ewe can give you young people.the ability to type speedily on a computer....saves hours of painstaking slow one finger work when working in a comp or typng something original.
    When i was a n IT co-ordinator i use to have one which allowed you to zap aliens which the kids adored... and many were fast at typng by the end!