1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Learn more, teach less

Discussion in 'Science' started by liz318, May 2, 2019.

1. liz318

liz318 New commenter

Hi,

Are any of you really effectively managing this approach at KS3? I am hoping to revolutionise science delivery in my school and move to a point where the students are developing their learning skills and lessons support this (instead of delivering / teaching the info).

Would really appreciate any ideas / examples of how this is being carried out successfully. My thoughts initially are that students are given scaffolding to carry out the learning before the lesson (instead of homework) and then lesson time used to reinforce / practice / share...

Any ideas of how best to assess this?

I look forward to hearing your ideas and hope to be able to reciprocate and share my ideas too

Liz

TheNaturalScientist likes this.
  2. The_Count

The_Count New commenter

Good luck with this.

First realise that flipped learning has been around for a while and really there are no meaningful studies that show it works any better than conventional teaching - done well, it does no harm though.

Also bear in mind that this is a technique usually employed with older students. Are your pupils really going to have time to do the background study before the lesson that you want? How will you know? What will you do if they don't?

Recognise that no-one anytime soon is going to "revolutionise science delivery."

Direct instruction is a powerful technique that done well and judiciously will help cut down on the misconceptions and errors that your students make - flipping lessons, done incorrectly, removes the most important person from the process - the expert teacher. So be careful!

phlogiston, ScienceGuy and blazer like this.
  3. TheNaturalScientist

TheNaturalScientist New commenter

Hi. Interesting question.

Flipped learning has its place but is definitely not a fix all and should be used selectively. For example, I would be happy to flip a lesson on the similarities and differences between animal and plant cells, where information gathering is key, paving the way for a classroom activity, but I definitely would not do so for a tricky to understand concept such as diffusion. That said, it would be possible to set homework on the concept of a solution (assuming students had studied this in the past) in advance of a lesson that introduces diffusion.

It is great that you prioritise development of the learning skills of your students. It is certainly the driving force at the heart of all of my lessons (I have been teaching Biology for the past 22 years). I have recently begun to publish some of my lessons on TES. Do download and take a look at my FREE lesson on DNA Structure, a lesson designed to develop the very learning and thinking skills you are after. It includes an interactive notebook, integrated and animated PowerPoint slides as well as detailed teacher's notes. This lesson would be suitable for your Year 9 students. At the very least, it will give you many ideas of how to successfully engage students in interesting lessons, where the majority of their time is spent engaged in genuine learning and thinking activities, whilst recognising the crucial role of their teacher as facilitator.

Here is the link:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/TheNaturalScientist

Good luck!

4. charb74

charb74 New commenter

Please permit me to correct some "facts" about Flipped Learning (FL)

First, there are several research on the effectiveness of FL, although not all of them ended up with significant positive effect. There is definitely more room for research. You may discover yourself by google'ing or visiting Flipped Learning Global Initiative website.

Second, FL has been in use for KS1 and KS2 students as well. There are successful examples around the world.

FL is basically to ask students learn the basic content on their own via -mostly, but not necessarily- videos, and to use class time for helping them master higher order skills via sturing dudent-based activities. Hence, when set properly, videos are sufficient for basic content delivery; an expert, namely, the teacher is comparably less needed. Where the teacher is needed is the class time; while students work on higher order activities.

Even using In-Class Flipping is quite helpful. I have implemented it in my KS3 and KS4 maths classes and it has worked quite good this year. Students watched my videos during class time, answered the questions at the end of each video and got instant feedback via online self-checks. They worked on their own pacing and had more one-on-one time with me when need be. Besides, they re-visited the videos when they had to revise the content before the exam; so no private tuitioning, no stress, nothing.

FL is good.

5. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

I think my experience in trying a lot of things that more independence is good and definitely when pushing the kids to think and not make it too easy to copy. That said some will find this challenging and for me I feel there's a tipping point where they will start feeling like you're not teaching and therefore if you make it over independent they can feel like the challenge is through them being asked to do too much on their own. So I suppose what I'm saying is that depending on the culture of other lessons around them (and this is very critical) there's a balance between getting them researching and being independent and it just not working. As for FL - that's great if you have kids who all do their homework, not so great if you have kids who struggle (for whatever reason) because then you've got lessons setup that won't work for all. I think I'd be very careful about ensuring there isn't any accidental disadvantaging of those who are already disadvantaged. The logic is good for the right schools and learners.