1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

League tables for special schools

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by elsiepiddock, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Where did you read this?

2. https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6074337

3. Thanks flame. My response to the SEN Green Paper is beginning to look like an essay on management. Who is coming up with these ideas and where do they get them from?

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I completely agree that p-level league tables are not the way to go and are certainly not going to help matters.
    But.... perhaps there does need to be some way of measuring special schools? There are 2 special schools in our area that take similar types of children. One school is fantastic - the children progress, their curriculum is rich, varied and focuses on what the children need with plenty of enrichment. The other school..... well it more or less just babysits the children. According to OFSTED they are both the same grade yet teachers in the area know this is not the case at all. IMO some special schools definitely need to be made more accountable and not just hide behind the 'special school' label.
    I'm not sure how the impact of Special schools can be measured - its the same issues as in mainstream to be fair - the number of level 4s isn't a true reflection of the quality of the school either.