1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

League tables for PGCEs?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by L_Elliott, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. L_Elliott

L_Elliott New commenter

Does anyone know if there are any league tables or similar to get an overview of the PGCE courses offered by the different universities?

I've seen league tables online but it looks like they only ever cover undergraduate courses. I was interested in seeing one for PGCEs as they usually have data on student satisfaction, employment rates, etc and I'm trying to decide where to apply.

I'll be doing the PGCE secondary for modern foreign languages.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I did that 10 years ago, L.E. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

3. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Don't get obsessed with league tables before you've even started a PGCE!

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No one cares.

Really. No one cares.

What matters is that you have QTS and hence a state school can employ you as a Qualified Teacher.

How you got it matters exactly as much as which driving school you used to pass your driving test.

wanet, DYNAMO67 and Middlemarch like this.
  5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely correct.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Too many variables. So much of training to teach depends on 1) Your aptitude 2) The school(s) you are placed in, and how you fit in there.

What is great for one person may not be for someone else.

wanet likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I don't think that anybody even notices where somebody did their PGCE. As @DYNAMO67 points out, the placement scools are important. Ideally, two very different schools should be included to widen the range of schools likely to offer you a job. I would think that every PGCE provider will have a range of schools they use, going from very bad to very good, so there is a certain amount of luck involved, wherever you train.