1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

leading moderation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cocopop77, Feb 18, 2011.

1. As a new literacy subject leader, I am having to lead my first moderation INSET where we will be looking at reading & writing. Has anyone led such a session, or been involved in one? It seems such a long time since we last did any moderation so I can't remember how we did it (in pairs or key stages?)

2. As a new literacy subject leader, I am having to lead my first moderation INSET where we will be looking at reading & writing. Has anyone led such a session, or been involved in one? It seems such a long time since we last did any moderation so I can't remember how we did it (in pairs or key stages?)

3. karentee

karentee New commenter

A whole INSET day on it or a twilight staff meeting? I have never run an INSET day but many a staff meeting and have a number of models, for discussion about levels whole school (we are a primary so it's useful to see what different levels look like) we all take a copy of an annonymous piece of work, all mark, level and make comments on next steps then compare our thoughts, this helps people have a better awareness of progress across the school and is eye opening in terms of how people identify next steps. Also useful to see how different teachers can level a piece of work, a 2b might be levelled very differently by a teacher in year 2 than in year 4!
    Have also done it where all books for groups of children are brought (with teachers beforehand having post it'ed to show evidence - so you're not having to trawl through) and pairs of teachers levelling one set of book, this gives a better indication of the level across a range of writing and over time.
    As for reading moderation, not yet found a way to do this...if you have any solutions please share!!

4. Sound like some good ideas there Karentee. It will be for a twilight inset, so a couple of hours and we will hopefully look at reading and writing. I was thinking of getting as many teachers as possible to bring a sample of level 2 writing, so initially as a staff we could compare those. Then my plan was for year groups to work together in moderating each others work, as this is something we were planning to do at the end of the school year so we have no disagreements about levels when assessments are passed up to the next class. I like the idea of already having samples 'post-it-ed' though. Makes it less time consuming.
    For reading, I suppose it depends on the type of evidence you have. I would assume that teachers would need to talk about the child, then back up evidence with notes from guided reading and any other work showing reading ability. While I am guided reading with a group, the rest of the class do another activity that is linked to one of the reading afs, so hopefully that will provide evidence of their reading understanding.