1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leading INSET on "Improving Role of Head of House" - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by kinglard, Apr 28, 2010.

1. kinglard

kinglard New commenter

I've got to lead a session with our Heads of House on Friday on how to improve their role (having just gone to vertical houses from horizontal year groups) and I have no idea where to start! There seems to be no info on the net so any ideas welcome!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I introduced a house system to my school quite some years ago. You need (I think) to get them to explore (a) what are the key issues for each year group and then (b) what ideas they have for raising achievement, improving attendance, improving behaviour, improving student 'involvement' (house councils were introduced in my school in place of the school council - it meant x times as many students were involved, therefore much better in terms of representative democracy and student voice activities).
    Obviously, there needs to be a key focus in the work of the HOH on use of data to inform their work with students - identifying underachievement being paramount. Perhaps you could run an activity in which they have data (for example, ongoing assessment data, which is what HOHs must principally use throughout the year, as well as attendance and behaviour data) from each year group and look at (a) what it tells them and (b) what measures they should take (and get others to take).
    Feel free to come back and ask me questions - I'm happy to advise. PM if you want a bit more confidentiality.

3. Did no-one train you and the school in VT?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Did you not notice this thread is two years old?