1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leading from the middle celebration help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Glitter5, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Basically, I have been on the course for a year and have got absolutely zilch out of doing it. I've had a couple of stressful weeks because of personal issues and have just realised that it is the "celebration" on Thursday and I haven't prepared anything. I haven't got a clue about what to say, (just going to do a Powerpoint), I am full of stress related cold sores and I am fed up. If you have got any suggestions on what I could talk about then that would be great, thank you.

2. Basically, I have been on the course for a year and have got absolutely zilch out of doing it. I've had a couple of stressful weeks because of personal issues and have just realised that it is the "celebration" on Thursday and I haven't prepared anything. I haven't got a clue about what to say, (just going to do a Powerpoint), I am full of stress related cold sores and I am fed up. If you have got any suggestions on what I could talk about then that would be great, thank you.

3. poet

poet New commenter

Don't panic is the first thing i'd say! It is generally a really lovely opportunity to talk to other teachers and hear about what everyone has been doing in their posts. I recently did one and simply talked a little bit about the background to the job and the situation, what i'd identified as my aim for the year and why, the steps i'd taken to achieve it and what the future held. I finished it by talking about the lessons i'd learned from being in a leadership role - mainly accepting the things you can't change and having the balls to change the things you can!
    I also saw some fantastic powerpoints from other staff - pictures of the kids are great, videos perhaps depending on how technically minded you are! The best ones invariably just had basic points and talked about the obstacles they'd faced and progress they'd made.
    Good luck - speak from the heart - you'll be fine.
    x P

4. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

Was it really that worthless? I thought it was supposed to be a reasonable course?

5. You wouldn't recommend the course then? I was down to start this term (have 20+ years experience in teaching and am TLR2 and UPS3). Didn't want to go and then luckily got promomtion and am leaving the school so have escaped it. You suggest I shouldn't bother?

6. mgmiss it sounds like Leadership Pathways would be more suitable for you. LFTM is ideal for people who have been in a middle leader position for between 2 and 6 years (quote NCSL website).

7. DJL

DJL

I was in just the same situation as you - work had been so hectic (and full of really nasty things happening!) that the LfM work certainly wasn't a priority. I prepared a one page 'crib sheet' and just talked enthusiastically about what I tried to do, failed to do (because of aforementioned circumstances, which I didn't go into), and what I would like to do next. It was just nice to chat to others and find out about their situations.
    I had also phoned the organisers and asked them to make sure that they didn't put me in the same group as my HT/'mentor' as he had contributed to the horrible things that had gone on (again, I didn't give reasons!). That was fine and they were very kind about it.
    I didn't get much out of this course at all. I talked about how I had tried to develop 'peer coaching' and what difficulties I had come across. Actually, two years later and in a new and very different school, I have put that work into practise and we have a great peer coaching system going.

8. we called in 'leading from the piddle!'
    Is it the presentation on your learning journey? If it is that, We were advised against doing powerpoints and told it should be fun - what a nightmare! So I used lots of naff metaphors and dressed up in silly items, seemed to go down well.
    I can email you a copy of the bit I read if it's any help as a starting point.

9. Don't worry about it, I did it last year and pulled my presentation together in the lunchtime before going!!
    Basically keep it simple and be genuine. You will be in a small group for your presentation, probably four people so don't have that much time.
    I just talked about how I felt at the beginning of the course and how I have tried to change my thinking to see the bigger picture bla bla bla.....
    Was fine, it's really not a big thing, some people will have power points but I didn't.

10. Wow - thank you so much everyone. I hate speaking in front of strangers and was really dreading the whole thing - now I don't feel too bad!

In response to the questions about the course - I am really not a jargon person and thats all our leaders seem to use. Plus I don't feel that I've been given the chance to lead in school so as a result, I haven't got much to say!!!!

You have all been wonderful and have really taken a load off my mind so thank you again xxx

miss_informed, that would be great if I could have a look

claireglitter@aol.com

11. You have mail

12. Thanks x

13. How did the presentation go?
    But more importantly... did you have the the little samosa and dim sum thingies?

14. It went really well! I got myself in a state over nothing as it was really informal (like you all said!!!) Your notes were a massive help - they gave me a structure to follow so thank you very much.

And no we didn't have any dim sum but I did manage to scoff the biggest wedge of carrot cake ever mmmmmmm.

Thank you for asking by the way

15. Hi, I've got to do my lftm presentation on Wed and am slightly worried about it too! Just tried to get on the site and it wont let me! Have been too busy with all the other school stuff to think about it earlier!
    Any chance of those notes??

rae.rae@talk21.com

thanks

16. you have mail...

17. shamefully bumping!! :)

18. Hi

I have my presentation to do for next week adn am streesing too! I see you have emailed your notes as a guide for others and was wondering if you could do the same for me . . . if you still have them!
    shelljones03@yahoo.com

thanks