1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by springle29, Jun 9, 2018.

1. springle29

springle29 New commenter

I work in a small rural 3 teacher school with multi composites. Our head teacher is a cluster head and spends 2 and a half days with us and the rest of her time at the other school. She wants the staff to take on more leadership roles next session which we don't think we should have to do. The GtC standards say its not part of our job remit. Can we say no?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You can say no, but I'd recommend you all have your union support to do so and make it a collective refusal.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Totally agree Caterpillar. I would add, that having transferred from secondary to Primary, on the whole secondary teachers are much firmer about expecting and getting pay for doing management roles. Primary teachers feel like a bit of a soft touch, being much more open to "do it for the little children" type pressure. Far easier to resist pressure to do it for lary teenagers!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@springle29 Is she prepared to remunerate you properly for any additional tasks or roles?

Who is in charge when she is not there?