1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership webchat: how much pregnancy discrimination is going on in schools?, Nov 24, 7.30am

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by AndrewFIS, Nov 2, 2015.

1. AndrewFIS

AndrewFIS Occasional commenter TES Leadership Expert

I'll be hosting a webchat with Sally Robertson, a barrister at Cloisters Chambers, on November 24 at 7.30am.

We will be discussing schools' responsibilities to pregnancy discrimination and will discuss some cases where schools fell foul of the law, even in instances where they thought that they were acting responsibly.

Should you have any questions about this topic, please post them and we will endeavour to ask Sally as many of them as we can during the webchat. Even if you are not able to take part in the live webchat, you will be able to view the responses afterwards.

There is also an accompanying video of us in discussion that is only available to Leadership subscribers, which goes live from November 6.

We look forward to receiving your queries.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Excellent. An astonishing number of head teachers know little of their legal responsibilities in this area….

Do go to resources and download the 'Maternity Matters Handbook' I penned covering schools responsibilities/ employees expectations relating to the care of pregnant staff :)

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Are you keen to know what the best practice is when dealing with pregnant members of staff, those who are returning to work after maternity leave or what the legal implications are for your school? Now is your chance to find out what you need to know by asking Sally Robertson, a barrister at Cloisters Chambers, who will be responding to questions on Tuesday 24th November in a webchat from 7.30 to 8.30am.

If you are an SLT member, governor or headteacher with a specific question or want advice about a particular situation that you are concerned about in relation to pregnancy/maternity discrimination please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Submit your questions below and we will put as many of them as we can to Sally on your behalf.

Don't forget there is also an accompanying webinar, featuring Andrew and Sally discussing this important issue which is available now to Leadership subscribers:

1920x1080-leadership-video-still-v2.jpg

Find out more about TES Leadership here.

4. TES_Rosaline

Don't forget to submit your questions ahead of next week's webchat below.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Not likely to be up and abut at 7.30 am, but I would have been interested otherwise (free CPD!!!!!)

As I understand the figures I read recently, only 3% of pregnant employees who face discrimination at work currently make a complaint to Tribunal.

I do not know to what extent many are dissuaded by the fees to take a discrimination to ET - currently £1200. If a woman is a union member, of course, these fees should be covered y the union...

I have one going through at the moment - a young woman on low income who is entitled to fee remission.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It is unlawful to subject a woman who is pregnant or on maternity leave to less-favourable treatment. T

Time to call your union and / or have a conversation with the Equality Support Service, who are 'hot' on pregnancy discrimination at the moment.

7. TES_Rosaline

8. TES_Rosaline

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Thank you @TES_Rosaline . That was excellent. I hope that TES will do more of these.

Any chance of getting chambers to run a session on managing performance and workplace bullying? We see so many tales of teachers under intolerable stress from seemingly impossible workloads and poor people management.

10. TES_Rosaline

Hi @GLsghost

I'm glad that you enjoyed the webchat.

Thank you for your suggestion. It's an interesting topic and something to look at for a future webchat next year.