1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership to class teacher pay scale advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by RamC, May 27, 2018.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

I am currently a senior leader and, due to sickness from anxiety, have requested and been granted I amend my role back to class teacher from September. My school have supported my request. However, I'm currently paid on the leadership scale, and the school have indicated that they would offer me M6. I was on M6 with a TLR when I joined the school in 2014 and they amended my pay to the leadership scale the following year. I've had yearly spine point increments. The school say that since I have never formerly applied to go through threshold that this is the maximum point they can offer, but that I can apply for a 2019 change. I know in the STCP it says that teachers moving from leadership to teacher scale must be on UPS but am unsure whether the 2017 changes impact this. As this is also a return to work from anxiety they have also Indicated that the leadership responsibilities I requested for a TLR (the same as my current job description and contract states as it has not been amended since 2014), would also not be offered to me. I've contacted my union but would benefit from further advice before the deadline for notice period is up!

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Well it would seem sensible to try and stick out for UPS you have nothing to lose by asking.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They can offer you whatever wage they so wish.
    You can accept or decline as you wish.

border_walker likes this.
  4. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Ask your union first thing in the morning.

install likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

When you arrived you were on a TLR and not on UPS. You didn't go through the threshold.

Maybe ask for the TLR you were on - given your skills. Then apply for UPS from that position. Or ask to stay on the Leadership scale but much further down with a smaller responsibility and equivalent to the pay you feel merits your 'new downgraded position' and matches the pay you seek.

Of course the school could say 'No' in all of this. But even some small responsibility may be worth holding out for.:cool:

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I haven’t read the 2017version but this certainly used to be the case; it’s not like accepting a new job at a new school where you have to negotiate salary, the STPCD said that if coming off leadership, you had to go on UPS at that school. If this but is still on the 2017 version then it seems they should be paying you UPS1at least.

johnnierj and install like this.
  7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Just checked, it’s still in there.

14.2. A relevant body must pay a teacher on the upper pay range if:

C) the teacher was employed as a member of the leadership group in that school, has continued to be employed at that school without a break in the continuity of their employment, was first appointed as such on or after 1 September 2000, and occupied such a post or posts for an aggregate period of one year or more.

Assuming you meet those conditions and schools is bound by STPCD. I’d mention this to the head if I were you.

strawbs and install like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Good point.

This is perfect -show your ht or Union if necessary OP. It doesn't say where on UPS though - so still negotiate a TLR if you can as well and only if you want to.

Good luck OP.