1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership spine

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Tarquin Sequin, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Hi
    If a job is advertised on L5-9, would one have to start at the bottom of this pay range or can it be agreed to start on L6, L7 or higher?
    Thanks

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Given the 5-point range, one must presume that this is an AHT or DHT post. In such cases, a new appointment must be placed on one of the first three points in that scale (i.e. 5, 6 or 7, no higher)
    For Heads (who have a larger 7-point range), they can be placed on any of the first four points.

3. Thank you. The reason I ask is - there's a job on the TES that I really like the sound of, however, I'd be taking a pay cut! I'm currently on TLR1a and UPS 3. I guess a pay cut is the only way ahead given this info.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Doesn't Tafkam just know everything!
    Whatever he is asked, he always has all the facts at his fingertips. I pity your poor Head, tafkam, if he isn't up to speed like you!
    Snowing heavily, a real blizzard, here in London . . . have a good weekend everyone.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You also have to consider the fact that schools with ever-decreasing budgets will have far less room for manoeuvre on salaries than they used to. Moreover, with the appointment of a new AHT or DHT, the current salaries of existing - more experienced - leaders have to be taken into consideration.

6. tafkam

Ah, TG, you're too kind!
    It's not quite as amazing as it seems: I only post if I know the answer [​IMG]
    Have a very Merry Christmas - and I hope Mrs TG goes easy on the Brandy in the Christmas Pud: can't have you losing any more of what hair you have left, old chap.

7. wervie

wervie New commenter

I have recently been promoted by 2 points to L19 (with letters of praise and appreciation from the HT and Govs); what happens next year now that I am at the top of my position's pay range (I am AHT and was employed at L16 in an L16-19 post)? It will be a bit demoralising to complete my Performance Management at the end of the year with no incentive. Please advise. Thanks.

8. tafkam

What happens now?
    You either stay in the same post and enjoy the salary you have, or you look for a post elsewhere with a higher salary.