1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LEADERSHIP SCALE FOR AST - UNFAIR OR NOT?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by claire1410, May 19, 2007.

1. I had an internal interview for an assisstant head post yesterday. there were two posts being interviewed for. I got the AH for curriculum and assessment, the other one for inclusion was also appointed internally. we were both told together that we were successful and then told together that I would start on L7 and the other AHT on L9.

This was due to the fact that I was on UPS 3 and a TLR 2b and the other candidate was on UPS3 and 3 management points at present. So she was currently earning more.

Both jobs are equal in responsibilty and I was always under the impression that we would both start on the same point.

Can anyone help with the protocol of awarding pay.

Thanks

2. I had an internal interview for an assisstant head post yesterday. there were two posts being interviewed for. I got the AH for curriculum and assessment, the other one for inclusion was also appointed internally. we were both told together that we were successful and then told together that I would start on L7 and the other AHT on L9.

This was due to the fact that I was on UPS 3 and a TLR 2b and the other candidate was on UPS3 and 3 management points at present. So she was currently earning more.

Both jobs are equal in responsibilty and I was always under the impression that we would both start on the same point.

Can anyone help with the protocol of awarding pay.

Thanks

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Identical posts must have identical pay ranges, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all post-holders will be paid the same. I suspect that your pay range is L7 to L11 (being 5 points for ASTs, now equivalent to leadership scale). You have started on the bottom point, she has been awarded 2 points for experience. However, after 3 years she will be at the top of the scale and you will catch up.
    Perfectly fair under the current guidance.

4. thanks tafkam

5. Hi,
    I am a class teacher in an inner city London primary school of around 220 children. Our head has resigned and we have been unable to recruit a new head on our first round. We are now having the deputy step up while the search continues and it has been suggested there will be two assistant heads of which i would be one. I am currently on Main pay scale 5. My question is: If i accept this role how would my pay change? Am i entitled to any additional pay? Would i move onto the management pay scale? Is there any obligation to pay me in this role or not?
    It could be that this situation might only be in place until January as we are still looking to recruit a new head (as opposed to the deputy taking over full time) but it could also be the case that this might be the situation for a year and we start with a new head the following academic year.
    I am a very committed teacher who does a lot of additonal work for the school and taking on this new role would mean a significant increase in my already heavy workload. For the first time in my career the term "If you're gonna pay me to do it" has come to the fore. We are a school in need of a real turn around so i know this is not a nothing role. The expectation and workload will be significant and i will not let my responsibilities and standards as a class teacher slip.
    Thanks for any advice!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Assistant headships are typically on the leadship spine so you should have pay equivalent pro rate for the time you are in that post. If your school do not agree to enhance your way, doing the extra work would mean them taking you for a sucker.