1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership position

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by 032371, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Where is the best place to look for leadership positions particularly in SE Asia?

If not a member of Search yet - would you recommend this for leadership jobs?

Would it be beneficial to try to attend either the Search or CIS job fairs in London.

I know there won't be any vacancies until at least the end of the year now but just trying to gather as much information as possible before the main recruitment drive starts.

There is one school which would be in our preferred country and from research so far would be our "dream" school. What do schools in general think of unsolicited CV/enquiry e-mail.

Our background is 16 years experience in England including management posts and 2 years as a Head of Primary in a small European International School (advertised via TES). Would be looking for either Head of Primary posts or Deputy Head posts in larger schools. Non teaching spouse and child.

I have searched the forum and read all the old post regarding similiar queries but haven't found an answer yet to my question. Hope someone can help.

Regards

2. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi from what I have seen any old muppet can get a leadership position in Asia - and I reckon best avoided. Remember in SE Asia often you don't "lead" you find out what you are supposed to do per the local real management and do it. Except you get the blame if things go wrong! And often the pay is lousy so why have all the hassle? Teaching in Asia is fun - more than UK - and that means delivering better lessons without all the other distractions, which doubles job satisfaction. And extra fre time in hols not doing leadership things means more travel opportunities!

3. Ask Mistermaker about S.E. Asia.
    He'll tell you in no uncertain tones about that part of the world.
    I gather he gained his first stripes quite easily in that hotbed of CPD and professionalism: Nigeria.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Despite all your stalking you still know so little about me. My first leadership role was in the UK.
    Asia is a good place to be. Nemo makes a point to an extent, but nothing is black and whilte. Anyone coming to Asia / ME / Africa direct from the UK has to adapt their understanding of teaching & leadership. Cultural imperialism is strong amongst many expat teachers, especially those from the UK, and this tendancy taints their stays in beautiful parts of the world.
    Many expats think they are loved and adored by locals, not realising they are actually annoying the hell out of local staff and are simply being tolerated.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

True, not least because the locals, some of whom are notably better at the job, are usually paid a lot less than the expats. Another issue provoking deep sighs ('now you see him, now you don't) is the whizzkid who comes out from the UK with all the latest wizzdom then disappears at the end of his contract only to be replaced by yet another messiah.

6. A literate boss is usually able to spell 'tendency'.
    Love and kisses,
    GW[​IMG]