1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership Payscales.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by angelface22, Feb 13, 2012.

1. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

If the job advertises, say between 45k-50k, do you negotiate, or do you start on the lowest scale? Advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Leadership posts in state schools in England are always advertised on what is called the ISR for the post, indicating the bottom and top point on the scale range which the governors have decided to apply to the post. They usually wish to start the successful candidate on the lowest point of the ISR.
    Circumstances in which governors might be persuaded to pay on one of th higher points within the LSR would be where the successful candidate was currently on a salary higher than that lowest ISR point. If that applies to you, then it is worth asking if they are willing to do this. You will need to decide, however, whether or not you still wish to accept the post if they are not willing to pay more than the lowest ISR point.
    If i doesn't apply to you, then do not ask for more.

3. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

Thanks, Middlemarch. I can always rely on you for good advice. From what you have said, I would be starting on the lowest. Presumably, it would rise to the maximum with each Performance Management cycle?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ah, not necessarily. There is no automatic right to move up the scale. The form is: following your annual PM review with the head, s/he reports to the governors and makes a recommendation (either to award you a point, or not). They, however, do not have to follow this recommendation, though it's extremely rare for a GB to award a point if the head has not recommended one, whereas it's not uncommon for them to refuse a point where the head has recommended one!