1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tyla, Nov 8, 2018.

1. tyla

tyla New commenter

Hi All,

I am currently seeking to make a jump from SLT post in the UK to an equivalent one abroad. I appreciate it is not easily done but can be done. I am in the process of sending of applications but I like to plan ahead. What kind of questions can I expect at an interview? I can imagine it's different process to the one in the UK. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

My advice would be to apply for regular teacher jobs. At a good place you will get a similar salary to UK SLT anyway and a lot better lifestyle.

1, A good school will want international experience
    2. A school which employs SLT direct from the UK will also be importing lots of the admin/initiative **** direct from the UK

Generalisations, I know, but those are my observations.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

It depends to some extent on your aspirations. For some, career progression is as important, or more so, than lifestyle. Taking a drop from SLT to regular teacher can raise questions to anyone reading your application.

When first applying for overseas posts. I was offered an obscene amount of moolah to reprise a HoD role I had left four years previously, having already done it for seven years. Peter Gumboil, then the doyen of Latin America recruiters (who had no axe to grind) confirmed that what was on offer would have funded an extravagant lifestyle in B.A. with stacks of spons left over. I turned it down in favour of less loot and a job I really wanted. The first school was second tier. The one that appointed me was HMC Overseas Division (and frankly not very good, though the kids were fabulous).

The OP may actually be thirsting to share all the admin/initiative 'b0l0x' he has acquired in the UK, though i'd counsel a certain degree of caution. I found it best to select the bits I thought would work in my context.

Any school recruiting from UK will want to be thoroughly convinced that you and your family can survive and thrive in a very different milieu.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 5:52 AM
  4. tyla

tyla New commenter

Thank you both. I grew up as an expat child and went to an international school myself so I don't think I'll have much difficulty proving that I can hack it in a foreign country.

I am considering a regular teaching job too but I have spent the last decade teacher training and absolutely love my side of teaching and leaning job so would hate to miss out on it. I appreciate that I might need to work for second tier school.

Thanks for that. I find that true of people changing schools here in the UK too.

Any suggestions on the questions front though?

Thank you!

5. le2012

le2012 New commenter

Bumping up the thread. I have my first leadership interview. Any ideas about possible questions?