1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership challenge...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Oct 3, 2018.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Has it begun? James Duudridge has sent a letter to the 1922 committee

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It needs 48 letters before the 1922 committe will even consider calling for a vote of no confidence. If they get that many letters and if they do decide to call for such a vote, there is no guarantee that the party leader would lose the vote - the appetite for changing party leader at this critical stage in the EU negotiations is not very great.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I thought the 1922 committee already had a bunch of letters [20ish?]...

4. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

You mean Boris may have shot his bolt too soon...?

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

May made it very clear in her speech today that she is staying put, and she seemed to have the crowd behind her. A self-selecting and captive audience, obviously - but she came across as though she was ready for a fight. And I loved her pops at Boris.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A rather unpleasant image. :confused:

7. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Just think of his poor (soon to be ex) wife...

8. red_observer

She won’t be PM at some point next year.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Have you inside evidence REd.....I could lay a few bets if you know for certain andmake some cash i need. lol
    As to Boris the sight of this running shorts he posed for in the pictures is depressive!

10. red_observer

Yes I have evidence! Boris wants to be PM and us only waiting for the right time to do it. Probably after whatever deal she comes up with then he will pounce. Next year sometime. I’m not putting money on it though OSM;)

11. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

The right time to do it? Well that has passed. He could have and should have tried when he resigned over the Chequers agreement. But even then, he probably didn't have the numbers.

Remember back in 2016 - how everyone thinks he was 'stabbed in the back' by Micheal Gove? Well that is the easy 'sound-bite', but I have read a bit more into it. Gove having worked with Boris basically came to conclusion that he wasn't PM material. He messed up when he didn't message Andrea Leadsome, (think he was playing cricket or something instead). Around that time he was also supposed to be politicking, but instead was having a boozy BBQ & Gove ultimately decided he was too light-weight for the top job.

That feeling remains amongst many who ultimately decide & if he tries again, there will soon be a ABB campaign (anyone but Boris) to scupper his chances.

Having said that, I'm sure T. May will not take the Tories into the next G.E. too risky, 2017 showed that.

12. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Yes he wants to be PM, but I cannot see it happening. But the strong hints in the media and from our own reading of the situation are not real evidence.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

People (including at least one here) have been saying for more than two years that she won't last another week. She's still there.

That was in July 2016. He long ago missed the boat and knows that even fewer would vote for him now than did back then.

nomad likes this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I remember on radio 4 there was a play about this incident,but i cant remember the title.
    Basically it portrayes Boris as a clever but lazy person who considered enjoyment more important than writing a letter or a speech.Throughout the play His advisors where wanting him to take action but he didnt always want todo their wishes even though influentual on his future.
    I think the phrase to little and to late sums up the attitude.

nixmith likes this.
  15. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

I’m one of the people who thought May was not long for this (political) world. Shows what I know. In fairness, we live in very odd times. There can’t have been many Prime Ministers who have run such a terrible election campaign, been so appalling with the media, given the worst ever conference speech (last year’s) and whose flagship policy (the Chequers deal) is so widely derided by her own party. If the usual laws of politics applied she’d be long gone.
    Equally, if competence was still a requirement for political advancement Johnson would be unemployed. I wouldn’t rule him out just yet (I’ve changed my mind on this as well) but I can see May taking the Tories into the next election and beyond.

oldsomeman likes this.
  16. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

It's not just that she is still in post, you'd think, just from your little list that Labour must be 20+ points ahead in the polls, but they aren't!

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only God had capitalised aiches when references were made to Him. Was this a Freudian slip, @oldsomeman?

Here's the truth:

In the context of the balls up that was made over Brexit, May was the only option to replace Cameron, but what does that tell us about the depth of talent within the Tory Party; and what does it tells us about the corrupt way the Tory machine works?

I honestly can't say whether Mrs May believes she is doing a good job, despite it being an uphill battle all the way since she took up the PM role. Neither can I say whether she particularly wanted the job, or was pushed into it by the men in grey suits, who will have known the other contenders were another disaster waiting to happen.

Let's just say that although The Iron Lady was once deemed to be the party saviour, once North Sea oil was running out and the predictable cracks in her economic policy were getting wider, with no obvious way to patch them up and with the poll tax riots, it was clear to everyone that she'd overstayed her welcome and needed to be removed, before she became an even bigger liability.

John Major was seen as the safest pair of hands at that time. It was he that coined the term 'men in grey suits', and who better to tell us about their existence, since they made him PM.

May will go when the men in grey suits find a replacement for her and not before, unless unforeseen circumstances force a general election. The trouble with relying on the support of a party of unreliable nutters like the DUP to stay in power, is that they could easily become May's nemisis; and hopefully that of the Tory party for a good many years.

18. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Labour are at least 20 points ahead of where they should be, judging from the general performance of left-wing parties worldwide, never mind Europewide. Voters generally aren't left-wing. Most party politics is right-wing parties versus even more right-wing parties. We see this being played out within the Tory Party.

red_observer likes this.
  19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

who on earth would want the job?

20. red_observer

Boris