1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leadership and management courses

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by carabarr, Dec 15, 2018.

1. carabarr

carabarr New commenter

Currently researching leadership and management courses. I work full time in a bilingual primary school in Switzerland as a teacher and am looking for an online course to qualify for management roles. Advise or experience on courses would be very much appreciated.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I did the MA in Applied Educational Leadership and Management at UCL, which was pretty good.

Pros: Interesting (well some of it is), well supported and it is from a great university.
    Cons: Takes a long time to do, very time intensive, particularly if you already have a management role, is it useful?

My employer paid for mine, so that has to be a consideration. I doubt I would have paid for it myself. You also have to ask yourself if it is worth it. Will it get you a senior management role? Not really. It will help but unless you already have the experience and/or ability to do the role, the MA isn't going to convince someone to offer you the position.

Best of luck.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

4. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

One thing to consider is that more and more countries don't accept online courses of MAs or BAs so be careful if this is your main source of qualifications. I do agree with Karvol, schools tend to lean towards experience or having previous roles in any management. No guarantees despite courses taken. Application is key.

Best of luck.

5. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Agree about the PTC. Have known, and worked with, several people who have done some of their courses. They all speak highly of them.

I have just signed up for one in the summer of 2019.