1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lead Teachers

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jenwah85, May 18, 2016.

1. jenwah85

jenwah85 New commenter

Good morning,
    I was wondering if you had any information that would help me research the role of a lead teacher in Science please? I am looking to try and understand exactly what the day to day life of this role would be because I think this is the direction I would eventually like to go with my career and would value any help at from experienced or newly appointed lead teachers in my subject please?

I would like to be able to see the clear pathway to this role so if you can also give me some background that would also be amazing :)

Thanks in advance!
    J

2. DIrectorStudies

DIrectorStudies New commenter

Are you working as a Science teacher now, and do you have a Head of Department? If so, you should be able to see what this teacher does.

Some tasks - obviously line managing teachers and technicians, ensuring adequate support and professional development; dealing with tricky parents; exam entries; selecting courses and resources; staff allocations, etc. Much of this is done as part of a team. There will also be quite a significant teaching load.

jenwah85 likes this.
  3. jenwah85

jenwah85 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am at the moment. This helps. I just don't know exactly what a lead practitioner does day to day :)