1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lead teacher and deputy head

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by oggs26, Feb 6, 2017.

1. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

This is a quick question what is the difference between a Lead teacher and a deputy head in your opinion or are they the same thing? I ask as would like a more definitive definition as in essence I am doing the deputy head post. I am safeguarding lead, exams officer and in charge of four subjects. I do book scrutiny and learning walks/ observations etc
    Our staff is very small and we don't have the same pay and conditions as a LEA or mainstream school.
    Any thoughts on this would be useful and thank you in advance.

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

A lead teacher from what you describe seems to be more of an Assistant Headteacher, well that's what one of the AHT's does in my school anyway!
    Do you have a DHT in place, or are they leaving/left and you are evaluating your skill set to see if you are qualified and ready to take on a deputy headship.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Would you be expected to step in and lead in the absence of the head? If the head was off sick or on a course/at a meeting would you be expected to do their job in their absence?

4. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

We have a head and myself who we are the senior leadership team. Then we have other staff. Yes if the head isn't in or at a meeting then I do step into his shoes so to speak. Just I am wanting clarity as this has been causing issues. I do have a TLR but this is for safeguarding not the other jobs I do. I'm not on the leadership pay scale, as we are a small independent school.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In our school, also a small independent, the senior teacher does what you describe. The DH has a different and more senior role.

6. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

The thing is we have the head teacher then me - there isn't a head teacher, assistant head or deputy head. The head and I'm his right hand person. The rest of staff have just responsibility for their subject and someone in there form.

7. musicandmaths

musicandmaths New commenter

Basically depends on the budget of your school. I'm Senior Teacher at my school, where the SLT consists of me and the Head (who is Executive Head of another school as well). I'm the nominated person in charge when the Head isn't in school (normally a couple of days a week), but not on leadership scale as I'm also a class teacher full time. Small school problems unfortunately.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Be careful if you do decide to make a fuss about this. The lower levels of leadership scales are often about the same as the top the usual pay scale. If you have a TLR, you could find yourself earning less if you swapped to the leadership scale, especially in such a small school.

ViolaClef likes this.
  9. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Established commenter

You can find yourself wearing quite a lot of hats in a small school and there are fewer possibilities for a hierarchical structure because pretty well everyone has to teach or have a class; there isn't the budget to have non-teaching staff sitting in offices at their computers all day. I heard of a deputy head post of a small school advertised at a salary I wouldn't have touched with a barge pole, given the responsibilities involved. As @caterpillartobutterfly warns - be careful!

10. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

Thanks for your responses. I'm just trying to clarify my role and responsibilities so I can do my job properly.I guess I know what I need to do in the end.

11. SJ26

SJ26 New commenter

I've been a lead teacher and DH at the same time. DH is as you imagine but lead teacher was for the LA. I had release time from school to lead certain areas like Maths inset etc in other schools. My SCHOOL was then paid for my time.... I didn't earn any more... Just very valuable CPD and experienced other schools.