1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lead Practitioners

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by youngjen84, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Hello

Is a lead practitioner similar to an AST? How many years experience do you need before you can become a lead practitioner? I've been teaching 3 years (1 of them NQT) and am tempted to apply for this post that I've seen advertised...... I fulfil nearly all (if not all) of the criteria they seem to be looking for in the person spec.....should I go for it or might they think I'm too inexperienced?
    Many thanks for reading, as always [​IMG]

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

In my LA "Lead Practioner" is the HoD who co-ordinates LA policy across the LA. To be that, you have to be:
    a) HoD
    b) a mug (that's me!)

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

oh - and 20 years in the classroom, but I don't think that is a requirement if your face fits

4. The only Lead Practitioners I know are the ones from the SSAT - and I presume they'll be cut with the cuts (though don't quote me on that) So are there other sorts of Lead Practitioners as well then?

5. Yeah, I hear what you're saying...it seems to vary from LA to LA....the job description says the pst reports to the Head and the Subject Leader...so it does seem to be a separate job from being HOD....it didn't specify a minimum length of time you need to be teaching for; just that you have innovative and creative ideas to help engage learners. I think it sounds like a weakish department who maybe need some new life breathed in or something....looked at their results and on 37% gaining A*-C and it is an option subject too.....could be a fresh challenge!!!
    The problem I seem to be encountering at the moment is how long do you just be a "classroom teacher" for before you should/need to think about moving up?! In that case, what is the next logical step after being just a classroom teacher?

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I don't think you'll find a satisfactory answer other than "try and see"! I always think back to a friend of mine who was an NQT at the same time as me and was made head of year 9 at the end of that first year. And she beat some more experienced people to the post. I was shocked, as I too thought there had to be a time in your career where you were officially told that you were experienced enough to progress and it took me by surprise that there wasn't! If you fulfill most of the criteria then go for it - if anything it'll signal to your SMT that you are ambitious and want to be given responsibilities.

7. Well I'm applying for it.....feel that I'm ready to think about moving on and at least if I don't get it then I tried and maybe I'll get some useful feedback..... have to put a good slant on the fact I only have French and not the Spanish they also teach though they asked for French and/or Spanish.....so here goes!!!!!!
    Thanks again!!