1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lead Practitioner > Route to SLT?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by scienceteacher555, May 1, 2020.

1. scienceteacher555

scienceteacher555 New commenter

I have been applying for Assistant Headteacher roles and I have been getting to the interview stage but never getting through to the second day. I would very much welcome advice from Headteachers on this.

I have previously been a Lead Practitioner in two schools (with a great track record of results etc) and then took a Multi Academy Trust - wide Associate SLT role, which hasn't got me anywhere and because I am not in the classroom much (not accountable for exam results etc), this is becoming a stumbling block. I have decided to look at middle leader roles (e.g. Head of Science) to have experience of leading a team, line management, performance management etc; but I notice these roles are few and far between.

I have seen a Lead Practitioner post advertised that looks very different to my previous LP roles as this has line management responsibilities for other departments (other than science) as well as whole school accountabilities. Does the job title matter that much or is it more important about what goes on in that role (that is expanded upon in the application form), e.g accountable for several subject areas and whole school areas? The actual title of the post is what is putting me off applying but otherwise I would be very keen to apply.

I would welcome others' thoughts and many thanks in advance.

2. bobtes

bobtes Occasional commenter

in my school (decent size secondary) lead practitioners are pretty much SLT. They have an office, have approx half timetable, do "on call" behaviour summons, lead whole school initiatives, attend SLT meetings etc.
    Unless you knew they were LPs, you'd assume they were AHT.

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Based on what you’ve said, I think personally, you need to get some experience as a Head of Department for a couple of years and then look at progression to Assistant Head.

Flanks likes this.