1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lead practitioner for Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Clongwell, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Clongwell

Clongwell New commenter

Hey all,

It has been suggested by a colleague of mine that I should look to become a lead practitioner. I have tried to look into it but am finding it difficult to locate anything other than the SSAT lead practitioner accreditation for advice on how to become one.

I was hoping there are some people that have been through the process that know what sort of things you would need to be able to become a lead practitioner.

Any help that you can give is greatly appreciated!

2. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

Hi,
    I am not a lead practitioner but I have worked in schools where we had them. They didn't have any qualifications as far as I am aware other than lots of experience and things that come with that like excellent subject knowledge. I take it that you work as a maths teacher now? Maybe you could ask for extra responsibilities such as being a mentor, circumlum development or whole school numeracy planning. Then if you went for a lead practitioner role you would have experience for the role. How long have you been teaching?

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm not quite sure what you need to know beyond what you say you've already read.The site gives a pretty extensive description of the accreditation.
    Here, have a look at this (although you say you have)
    https://www.ssatuk.co.uk/cpd/teachi...ioner-accreditation/what-is-lp-accreditation/

If you are going to do it, you'll probably need to get your school on board with you, because you'll be required to conduct some solid research and meet others who are going for the same accreditation. It's quite a hefty set of criteria, so you also need to be sure that you can give the time to it, or be allowed the time from your bosses.
    It's definitely worth pursuing if you are about your subject, and about sharing your knowledge set with others, maybe less so if you are about pursuing a purely management role in the future.
    If your school is not already on board with the scheme, have a word with your HT, because it brings the potential to become a centre or hub for other practitioners in your area which can bring lots of extended benefits to the school.
    That's your first step. Your second step is to meet up with others doing the same. Allowing the time for these meetings is pretty important, so again you need to be aware of the time commitment from the start.

4. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

OMG. The disease that is so called ‘classroom based research’ is now infecting even the Maths forum? :-(

‘Solid research’ my *rse.

Read John Hattie if you want the best general guide to evidence based teaching and learning. All the key principles are there.
    CBR , which is inevitably small-scale, cohort and teacher specific, inevitably biased (because it is delivered with knowledge, and a degree of enthusiasm/unenthusiastic from the teacher) easily leads to utterly incorrect conclusions that the ‘reseachers’ tend to HOLD ON TO STRONGLY because they’ve already invested so much time, emotion and reputation in it.

I would suggest that upwards of 99% of the people that advocate CBR have:
    i) no scientific training whatsoever, not even to reasonable A-level standard.
    ii) never worked outside of ‘education’, on any other kind of research project.

It was forced upon me during my PCGE years ago by semi-retired humanities lecturers who had no comprehension of the damage they were doing to naive, non-Science teaching students.

Maddening.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's a fairly emotive response! i was simply describing what you have to do to get the accreditation which OP asked about. I'm not sure evaluating an abstract approximation of it with such undiluted cynicism is what they were quite expecting to take on board...

6. Alexdiver

Alexdiver New commenter

hear hear

dont let the Twitterarti know though

7. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

But you weren’t ‘simply describing’ it. Your deliberate (or worse, thoughtless) use of the word ‘solid’ shows that you believe ‘solid CBR’ exists. If you wanted to be neutral, and not explain the provisos, you had no need to say ‘solid’.

Yes, it provokes a strong reaction in me. I have seen CRB massively pushed by Teacher Training organisations (predominantly ex-humanities teachers) with no understanding whatsoever of the scientific method, and drawing the most startlingly inappropriate conclusions from an ill-conceived study of 10 non-representative students in an entirely biased ‘experiment’.
    It’s the persistence with which these I’ll-founded beliefs are held on that is especially pernicious.

Are you saying you disagree?

8. jcstev

jcstev New commenter

I achieved LP accreditation from SSAT last year with barely any evidence from my project. What I needed was evidence of working with teachers outside my own school to share/develop good practice, which I had plenty of already. I was told that the rationale for the project was partly to provide opportunities for such work, and partly a way for LP candidates to put something back in to the school in exchange for the time/support/cost put in to accreditation. Indeed, we were told that the project should only supply part of the evidence for accreditation, and that in principle all the evidence could come from other sources.

The project was not expected to be "research" in any academic sense; it was about doing something to support other teachers and then showing that this had an impact on their practice.

This is, of course, just my experience.