1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lead IV BTEC Science Level 2 OSCA

Discussion in 'Science' started by munazasattar, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I need to complete the OSCA in the current window for BTEC in Applied science (Level 2) to become the lead IV and was wondering if anyone was completing it too and what their thoughts were about it?
    my email is munazasattar@hotmail.com
    Thanks

2. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

I am doing it for the first time this year - Havent looked at it yet, but did the practice and got 100% - we are doing it by getting the whole team together - all answering the questions and then debating in traditional moderation style.

3. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

How long it takes will depend a bit on what units you get for assessement on. If they are ones you are already familiar with then as you found on your trial run it will be quite quick. If you end up with some obscure unit that you have never looked at before it takes a bit longer as you have to read all the unit content before you can check the assessment decisions.
    When we did them last year I did the answers on paper (took about 2 hours as both were units I hadn't taught), then went through them with a colleague to double check (about an hour) and then we put them on the system (about another hour). We did write a comment next to each question as last year there were issues with "mistakes" where writing comments got people through so we wanted to cover ourselves.
    I'm LIV at L3 rather than L2 so the units I got were a bit challenging as they were both outside my areas of experience. My colleague did the L2 one and we found the whole thing faster.
    I would give yourself a good 3 hours for completing it but you can definately do it in bits and I found it was worth going back to my answers a day or two later to double check them.
    One key point we learnt last year is that they are strict on dates - I think we said a time gap was ok as it crossed the easter holidays but they expect you to ignore anything like that as obviously we all mark and IV whether it is Xmas day or not!