1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LEA Observation - Help!! Panicking!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pinkflipflop, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I was observed regularly by the LA during my NQT year as I was in an ISP school. Don't panic yourself. They are just like any other observation and I personally found them the most useful.

2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

We had an LEA advisor in school a few months ago. It was no different from other observations except he was only in for 10 minutes. It went awfully to the point I cried all night. However, it was completely different to the observation feedback I had before and since.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are various contexts as above and some LA's routinely observe as part of a Quality Audit of induction. If there were specific issues with your teaching your mentor would have already discussed with you.

4. I was observed by someone from the LA alongside my headteacher in my second term. It's part of my LA's monitoring process and NQT provision. The LA person and the head observed for almost an hour (missing the plenary, rather annoyingly!) then I had joint feedback from them both.
    He also asked me things like:
    • am I getting my full NQT non-contact time?
    • am I getting regular mentoring meetings?
    • am I getting CPD opportunities based on my action plan and termly assessment focuses?
    To be honest, it was quite stressful, and unfortunately I didn't feel that I got very much out of it to improve my practice or to view as development points. I also wanted to answer "not quite" to some of the questions above, but because he asked me in front of my head, who sat and glowered at me throughout, I couldn't answer honestly.
    But, it's another hoop jumped through, and another experience of being observed under my belt, helpful or not!
    In my LA, it's all NQTs who have this. I would imagine it's the same in most areas?

5. Oh, forgot to say, no-one looked at any paperwork or my CEDP. Rather fortunate, since my head has told me I don't need to do an NQT file...