1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Le Creuset...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Jul 9, 2020.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

In my experience this company produces some wonderful cooking equipment, I have an old pot about 30 years old where the enamel has worn away, not a problem really but on googling I noticed the USA site provided a pre lifetime guarantee, I now have fomo... *good grief I can't believe I have just used that term... someone pass me a large glass of vino... slaps forehead.

Just thought I'd share.

2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

We have a set of Le Creuset saucepans, skillets and a marmitout. I rarely use them as the wooden handles have started to split, the enamel interiors are stained where things have overcooked, and the non-stick surfaces of the marmitout and skillets have totally gone.

Marshall and racroesus like this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've got quite a few pieces. Brand new casserole dishes and some shallow trays I found in an abandoned flat I was cleaning out.

A few years ago I bought a salt and pepper mill set. I actually managed to persuade the kitchen shop owner to let me have a white mill for the salt and a black mill for the pepper. I think I split two sets but, it seemed logical to have white for the salt and black for the pepper.

'S' and 'P' on the lovely little screws that hold the tops on.

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought this was going to be another Franglais thread!

Aldi did some le Creuset-alikes some years back, maybe ten years? These were much cheaper than the originals. I have one of maybe five pints capacity and I gave a second to my daughter. We both use them regularly and they are wonderful things to cook with. Brilliant for currys and chillis. And if you are daft enough to burn something to the bottom (moi?!) it cleans off easy enough too. Originally I assumed you had to have a double-barrelled name, call everyone "dahling", and cook on an Aga to use one. (Like Belle!;))

monicabilongame and agathamorse like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you really had FOMO you would not be posting on here about saucepans, trust me.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The Le Creuset stainless steel range is fab, especially on induction. At £100 plus per item, it's best bought when on promotion.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

What is a pre lifetime guarantee?

Rott Weiler likes this.
  8. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

Had my set for more than 30 years and still going strong. A gift from my late Mum.

9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I have a Le Creuset mug (it was the only thing in their range I could afford!). It is a thing of beauty.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

We have one large pot. It's really good quality and shows all the other cheap-o ones up for what they are.

bombaysapphire and mothorchid like this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Over thirty years ago, we were given a Le creuset casserole dish. I think it it the present we have used more than anything else ever. It gets used at least once a week and is still brilliant.
    Once Mr Mothorchid was too enthusiastic in his cooking of chilli con carne and the whole of the inside went black. I feared it would never come off, but google is my friend, so I boiled a dishwasher tablet in it for ten minutes. Pristine result. Almost too clean as it took a little time to build up the patina again.
    I also have a few Le creuset ramekins which I use every so often.
    But my Mum has a huge, orange casserole dish, which is over fifty years old and still used when the family come round.
    Buy cheap, buy twice. Thank goodness we got ours when we did. I couldn't afford it now.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My local auction house will usually lot Le Creuset items seperately from other house clearance items because they command respectable prices. You can pick up real bargains at auctions outside school holidays.

French flea markets would be another promising source.

fraisier likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Why would anyone want to buy a French flea?;)

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

Upmarket Parisian dog and cat owners are very fussy about with whom they share their apartments.

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've got loads of casseroles, pots and oven dishes acquired over 40 years, but I never wanted the pans. I couldn't hold them with one hand to drain them because they're so heavy.

16. fraisier

fraisier Senior commenter

In Britain and France, people after Le Creuset items should also check out factory outlets and so-called "Outlet Villages"("Villages de Marque/démarque", "Magasins d'usines" in French) where they have bargains on high street and designer goods.

Also the actual Le Creuset factory in Fresnoy in Northern France (about 7 miles north-est of Saint-Quentin in Picardie, so just a few miles off the A26 many Brits take from Calais to go south) has a "boutique d'usine" (factory shop) where they flog off cast-offs (or items in excellent condition but with a little nick that don't make the exacting cut).

If you ever take the A26 from Calais, there is a massive Discount and Factory Outlet complex in the small city of Troyes (Burgundy), 70 miles south of Reims, well worth a stop. (Troyes is also a beautiful place, stunning medieval Old Town which is generally considered to be in the top 5 in France. In Renaissance time, Troyes was a thriving town and one of the major town of the French Kingdom, renowned for its craft, textile industry - still it, luxury/upmarket textile - tanners etc. Like so many other places, a major fire in 1524 wiped out most of it but it was slowly rebuilt almost identically. It was also badly bombed during WWII but the Old Town was relatively unscathed.Troyes in the Champagne region is the closest thing to a storybook town with its exquisite half-timbered buildings and art-filled Gothic churches.)

I was offered one of their gorgeous cast-iron fondue sets 20-odd years ago (in their trademark red-orange dégradé), we hardly used it but the actual pot makes for a beautiful decorative item in the kitchen in which you can put all sorts of items (coffee capsules, tea bags etc.).

[​IMG]

I know that the person who offered it to us got it in a factory outlet for half-price, about £40 at the time as the set was approx. £80-90.

magic surf bus likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've got one of those in cream! Haven't used it for donkeys' years but now we are definitely having a fondue this weekend!

18. fraisier

fraisier Senior commenter

The programme Inside the Factory on BBC2 actually did the Le Creuset factory in Fresnoy near Saint-Quentin (Picardie, now part of the Hauts de France region). It was last shown 2 months ago (repeat from 2018 I think), but unfortunately no longer available on the iplayer but there will be other repeats I'm sure. (It was apparently aired again on BBC Earth two evenings ago).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hb7b

An incredible factory: The Le Creuset casserole foundry in northern France is, Gregg Wallace says, “perhaps the most challenging factory I’ve ever visited”.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

We tried dropping in there a couple of years ago. It was absolutely stuffed. Every car park full together with roads and grass verges. Impossible to stop, so gave up. It must be good.

20. magic surf bus

I'll add it to the list for more normal times thank you. We've parked the camper overnight by the lake at Mesnil-Saint-Pere but never been into Troyes itself.

fraisier likes this.