1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy readers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CooperSM, Mar 17, 2019.

1. CooperSM

CooperSM New commenter

Hey everyone,

We've just finished our y2 mocks and I'm really disappointed in their reading scores, they're getting really easy questions wrong.
    I'm struggling to engage children and parents with reading, we send no homework except spellings and reading. At parent's evening I spoke to many parents about the importance of reading and just got lots of excuses - they don't have time, the children throw tantrums, etc. The majority of my children spend their evenings on games consoles and I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle!

We read for 10 minutes at the end of every day (including myself modelling a passion for reading) and children are listened to by a teacher/TA once a week. We also do 3 reading lessons a week (varying in time) focusing on skills such as RIC and answering SAT style questions. I have a book corner filled with every book imaginable - newspapers, fiction, non-fiction, puzzle books, recipe books, chapter books, wheres wally, etc. I also have a class book we share when we have time.

I have tried bribery, rewards, challenges (as a school we have read a rainbow and book bingo to encourage children to read at home) but it is the same children who are reading all the time. We also go to the library once a week and I have children who say "I will just chose this one because I won't read it anyway" and it breaks my heart.

I have tried every trick I know and have come to a brick wall. With such a short time till their SATs (although I know not the be all and end all) I am worried they are leaving the year without the key skills.

Does anyone have any ideas?! I will more than happily try to take it on!

Thank you - a stressed out teacher!

2. fly

fly New commenter

We have similar problems. We have just re introduced reading records and monitor them each day. Parents or older children sign and date them when the child has read at home. We have a stamp to show that we have checked it. There will be a prize draw for those who have read the most at the end of each half term.
    This isn’t new (what is these days?) but a variation on an old idea.
    A few of my children really love the Dog Man series. They brought copies in and I made a quick display. Children must ask the owners if they want to read one in school time. This gave them a sense of ‘importance.’ By the end of the week, ten other children had bought one of the same series and there was a real ‘buzz’ about them.
    Also, I have done a version of the Book Cafe in the past. Tables split up with paper red and white table cloths, a small vase of plastic flowers and battery powered tea lights on each. Cafe accordion music playing through smartboard! Find 4 copies of about 12 different books from around school - make them a real mixture. On each table, put 4 copies of the same book.
    Role play entering the cafe and teacher acting as head waiter (apron and clipboard etc. - they love that!
    When seated give the children 5 mins to look at the book, read snippets and discuss what they have found out about it with each other. This is the most valuable bit. When directed, children then move on to the next table to look at the next book etc. After an hour they have handled and discussed all 12 books and can offer opinions about them. No written follow up expected, just READ!
    As usual, it takes some teacher money for cloths, tealights, flowers etc but these can be kept for subsequent sessions once bought.

Also, have you tried some of the Literacy Shed VIPERS resources? Some are good and help the children to locate parts of the text that refer to inference, vocabulary etc.

Will watch this thread with interest.

CooperSM and sunshineneeded like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My first reaction was that although you may be teaching and they are starting to 'master' reading, as in decoding print', that doesn't necessarily mean they are mastering the specifics of 'how to answer SATs style questions' to test comprehension.

However I note you say 'We also do 3 reading lessons a week (varying in time) focusing on skills such as RIC and answering SAT style questions.', so obviously you have been trying to teach those.

So it may just be a case of carrying on as you have been doing and trust that those extra few months will help the children develop the specific comprehension skills and skills involved in 'giving the answer the marker is expecting', which is an altogether different skill to 'reading'. ;)