1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy, demotivated, uninterested HoD... what to do?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Dissonant69Identity, May 31, 2013.

1. The laziest individual I have ever met happens to be my HoD, the HoD has no interest in children, does not do planning, teaches whatever comes in to head (no SoW either), and guesses leveling and assessment. 60% of the equipment is broken and in a terrible condition, the school has not dept. events (music dept), no concerts, nothing and has no choir, bands, orchestra or other clubs. The person is often absent and has missed significant INSET and other days. CVA is poor and GCSE numbers are dropping. Everything is a mess.

This is the tip of the iceberg.

What would you do?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Change schools.

3. Yes, look for a new job. However, you might want to think about the following things as well: start some extra curricular stuff yourself - it will look good on your CV, if some students get interested, word might spread. Write your own scheme of work (and keep it) so you know what you need to teach and how. If that means you need a course to give you the confidence to do it, make sure it's one of your Appraisal targets for next year. Make sure your equipment works and, if needs be, get a bit protective of it so you can deliver what you need to. Finally, make an informal complaint to your HODs line manager and see what kind of response you get.

4. tq so much, great advice...

ps. my attempts to introduce concerts/clubs/events etc. have been blocked by HoD...

We have also since started using SoW I have developed in the holidays...

5. Bypass your HOD with concerts, clubs and events and just do them. Get his line-manager to sign things off for you, if needs be. Just go for it.

6. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

What an amazing opportunity for you! Go for it. Do everything a music department should be doing - shoirs, concerts, SoW etc. Get yourself noticed, and as Arthurdent says get it signed off at a highler level - all good. Just mention to HoD that as they are so busy you are thinking of doing such and such, and do it. Mind you, I am only an NQT so don't take my advice alone lol. Get it moving and it won't go un-noticed, will be fab on future references. hoD can hardly stop you doing things their dept should be doing. Go for it.

7. amazing advice from u ppl, tq very much indeed...

8. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

Be careful though! I am now a HOD, but I used to be in the same position as you. I decided to set up revision clubs and extra-curricular activities without the approval of my HOD (she didn't want to be shown up), and she made life VERY difficult for me. In the end, I left and got my first HOD role elsewhere. You do need your line manager to be on your side, and if they start to resent you (no matter how unjustly), then they can make things hard for you. I would look around for a new post - it sounds as if you might be ready for your fist HOD/2ic post?

9. Hi, strangest thing happened, they offered me his job, I am now HoD, and he is not. This is my 3rd post (was her first)... what a strange situation

10. Wel done on the promotion! Hope it all works out for you.

11. nattig

nattig New commenter

I had a similar situation with my school however the extra curricular stuff was outstanding so SLT and the Head loved my HoD.

I now have a job as HoD at a different school - he is being investigated for his lack of curriculum help and my replacement has no idea what she is doing.

Go to your HoDs line manager and talk about the curriculum issues. Mention the dreaded O-word and see them panic. No SoW = angry Ofsted!