1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy colleague

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Curae, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I normally get along well with all staff sure some better than others. There is someone that I work quite closely with who has over the past year been through quite alot of emotional stress taken quite alot of time out and I completely understand. I ageed to temporarily take on some of the tasks this person is supposed to do for me to ease their load (TBH I never thought they were overloaded at all) until further staff were employed. I however have noticed how the extra time gained by doing this is immense and they are unashamedly now doing very little or nothing (mobile sitting down watching YouTube internet shopping... admittedly it MIGHT just be pure coincidence ) so I do feel that it has been totally undeserved creating extra work for me.

My issue is am I now wrong to request a return to their normal routine and if they refuse what do you good folk recommend.. they are friends with their line manager so thats a no go. I would actually like to request a different colleague for support . BTW I am a senior teacher /head of subject they are non teaching and SHOULD work under my direction... something which this person had slways seemingly had issues with and i am definitely NOT the only of member of staff that feels this. This person is known to be of a difficult character and have a despotic manner.

Oh what to do

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Do you have a paper trail that clearly states what work you took on, on their behalf, reasons for doing this and a time scale for this to take place? If so then a hand back should be straightforward.
    If not, do you at least have job descriptions that clearly state what each of you should be doing.
    The approach of 'assumed consent' might be the best one. Simply tell them and your line manager that you are pleased to see how well they are now now, and that all is back to normal, and you are certain that they will be keen to resume their previous responsibilities, you are glad to have been able to support them, you are certain that they will want everything back to normal. etc.
    You could even throw in a 'there's no need to thank me I was glad to be of help' Then leave them to it, no discussion, no options. Everything is back to normal,
    The key to any interaction is don't allow them any lee way, don't give them any sort of phased return. Do not mention any aspect of them sitting on their A*** doing nothing, while you work your socks off.

3. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Thanks for this. Your last sentence is exactly what they have been doing and is exactly the situation we are now in. Ill letyou know how it goes. Thankfully I did send an email to MY line manager about me temporarily agreeing to this so your advice is perfect.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Devil's advocate here. They might be suffering from depression or anxiety, so feel unable to do anything / paralysed by the thought of doing anything. That's not to say others should just be doing it for them, of course. Maybe they need more support. Perhaps take it to whoever their line manager is, and express this as your concern for them?

phlogiston likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Some sensible advice above and yes I do think having supported them thus far, they should now be starting to take back the load, even if not all at once, assuming they may be suffering depression ro difficulties still and suddenly being expected to 'go back t normal' mat tip them over the edge.

SundaeTrifle, Curae and phlogiston like this.
  6. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Yes agreed but my main issue is that they were doing very little for me in the first place so a return to normality is actually more significant for me. Those on here that know me will know that I 100% agree with supporting colleagues with any health issue on WPD & at work.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. HolyMahogany

If this person is having, on going, longer term mental health issues, then the school needs to come up with a strategy for dealing with this. supporting the teacher and covering their work, not simply loading up a colleague with extra work which could lead to stress and exhaustion for them and then there will be two people with mental health issues.

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Which is why I suggested that the appropriate line manager is talked to.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive myself right now, but I don't understand some of the snippy responses on this forum sometimes.

9. HolyMahogany

I think the responses are often motivated by a sense of frustration at how SLT are sometimes reported as behaving on this forum. One could ask the question, Why does the line manager need to be prompted to action on this matter? Surely the arrangement for another colleague to take on extra work should have been a very short term option. Is the line manager oblivious to the fact that the person with problems is filling their work time with on-line shopping. If they have a colleague with mental health problems shouldn't the LM have been keeping an eye on them, and supporting the colleague whose workload has increased.
    I am not gifted with any special powers of insight, I am of average intelligence, my experiences are no different to those of other teachers, sometimes I feel that we are all stating the obvious and are left to wonder why this should be necessary. Yes everyone in a school is very busy and the LM mentioned may need to be prompted, fair enough. The OP mentions a concern about the friendship between the ill colleague and their LM. If the LM has allowed this to influence them, then the LM is definitely at fault.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Lazy or ill?

What time scale does the return to work agreement state?

11. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I have to agree. This has been ongoing with several issues NOT being deal with effectively. Had the line managernot been a friendand the HOF more involved ie assertive it would most probably been sorted by now. The person in question def has issues and other staff have had to bear the brunt. I know for a fact that several of us have our own significant healrh issues which ARE being dealt with m. I have spoken to my line manager about tjis who is in total agreement but nothing really changes.

12. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Both actually and it needs addressing but line manager(a friend of lazy) and HOFare ineffective. I hate to make such sweeping statements about my colleagues but it is a fact even SLT are aware of HOFs i effectiveness. And bwfore anyone suggests NO id never go down that line.

13. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

You are indeed insightful and yes line manager is somewhat at fault but reflective. Its quite, a, sorry state of affairs.

14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I thought I asked you to stop posting about me...

Curae, Grandsire, CWadd and 1 other person like this.
  15. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

You never... personally HOF needs to grow a pair and sort this out.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.