1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lazt teachers sat at home doing nothing during lockdown

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hs9981, Jun 27, 2020.

1. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

agathamorse, steely1 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Interesting to me is the use of the word ' HOME'
    It was made clear, at least to me it was, that ' home' is where I was supposed to be. ' Doing nothing ' -
    plenty of people come into work , do nothing and then go home ,as if the very act of coming into work was in itself, work.

pittrivers and steely1 like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes this reminds me of colleagues staying back because they wanted to be sheltered from the demands of home - very often ‘working late ‘ chewing the fat / avoiding traffic

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The Curse of Autocorrect strikes again...

7. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Especially as the article says that she wanted them to come in to school for a third day each week to work on their performance management evidence! What a frickin waste of time, and completely 'unessential' in terms of travel. When the government was telling everyone to stay at home and work from there, why did she want staff to come in to create a powerpoint of evidence that they could do at home? Ridiculous woman.

8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I just love all this garbage teacher-bashing. Not. Oh the irony. Toilet paper newspapers such as the Daily Wail and incompetent Tory politicians who are, visually snd morally, very similar to what you wipe onto your toilet roll, such as Gove and Cummings are now revealing the true extent of their hypocrisies.
    They have spent the last decade trying to make so-called ‘efficiency savings’ which essentially end up i being just about legal and utterly amoral means of kicking out dedicated experienceD teachers. They allowed and wasted advertising cash encouraging idealistic kids to join the profession and then over-promoted them beyond their ability to function. This created horrible ageist divides within the profession -which, by the way, is not really ‘professional’ any more because we’ve been systematically deprofessionalised by the Cummings cadre. Society allows teachers to be routinely bashed in the media, moaned about and slated by increasingly demanding parents, who thought, because they went to school, they knew you exactly how to teach and got off on telling us this. Repeatedly. This view was also endorsed by bog roll like the Daily Mail, which in my opinion should be torched, along with all its journalists. Then...COVID-19 happens. Parents have suddenly got to actually multitask careers with home learning and teach their kids a bit themselves. Well that’s if the kids are lucky. Suddenly, parents who don't teach realise that teaching really is not something that anyone can do, but actually an incredibly difficult highly skilled multi -interactional profession, despite what the mail and the Tories say. So where are we now? They realise that they can’t cope and they can’t do without us. Just as they can’t cope and do without the NHS...yes, that’s right, those nice junior doctors that they stamped in the media and whom the Tories refused to give proper contracts and pay conditions. You gotta love Mr Hunt. There is now a listless and increasingly chaotic self-deluded angry and petulant public which just will not face up to the stampeding and snorting cacophonous convoy of elephants , now pacing around Society’s front room: we either spend more time with our kids and risk losing some income in order to help them through this difficult process or we accept some may be academically disadvantaged because of this difficult time. We cannot have it all. Equally, we should just accept that actually a Head or Academy Not to-Trust can’t legally force a teacher back to work if it’s a dangerous workplace. Why is this so difficult? Because British society has become used, under decades of Tory rule, to treating public sector workers like dirt. Wake up and smell the coffee. And get out of the way of the stampede!

9. Mrsmumbles

Right. Time for a cup of tea....

10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think the main problem now is with infection rates low and death rates very low, it is becoming harder to claim the workplace is 'dangerous'.

Not that I think teachers or their unions really need to over analyse or discuss it all too much now - we all know the children are not going back before September (so just keep cool about it) but that yes, they will be IF in the next two months the infection and death rate stays as low or lower hopefully than now.

Just let it all play out. The hope has to be though all is fine in September for a no- nonsense return to school.

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

And this speaks the sort of Tory complacency that has got us into this mess. Pathetic.

Andy13uk and Catgirl1964 like this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is a simple reality for the teaching profession (in England) - we have 2 more months to battle the disease/monitor our data and the data of other countries and prepare for going back.

Nothing to do with complacency, just simply how it is. Sure, I would love infection and death rates to be zero right now but even if this were so, it would not mean the risk is eradicated as we know from Germany, Korea and China.

13. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

My main thought on this is that I would never want to work for this woman. How are the parents and children of the school mean to respect the staff at that school now she has said publicly they're sitting at home doing nothing? I would be resigning immediately to look for a supportive head to work for.

14. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

Dumpty is spot on, nothing partisan about his/her comments.

We could all possibly go back now, but like s/he said, not long of the school year left, may as well see it out with distance learning to be twice as sure that we won't get a nationwide second wave.

I am praying all is well in September for a regular start.

15. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

That's your opinion - fine. But I disagree. His views reek of Johnsonesque complacency - which as cost this country literally thousands of lives this year.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

The sad thing is I have (ex) friends who believe all the Daily Mail garbage.
    I'm actually working harder, teaching online now, than I did before as a supply teacher.
    But people believe whatever they want to that makes their ego feel better temporarily, if they have no understanding of integration. Just another example of how Narcissism has become 'large scale/institutionalised' as well as personal. Bigger agenda behind it - as with many other world events happening at present - 'divide and conquer' - the narcissism will increase with this 'new world order' and more and more of us will learn not to rise to the 'baiting' (which is what it is) and see behind the staged conflicts. Red pill or blue pill? ask yourselves.

17. Mrsmumbles

I mean, I would like fo think that one small positive to come out of this pandemic is that finally, at long last, people would treat teachers and doctors with a bit more empathy and respect. Instead we have all the continual teacher bashing from the Daily Mail and, on top, the not even concealed hatred that so many parents have for teachers ...people that too many who really should know better see as little better than three childminders. It just makes me so depressed about ever going back into a school. It has been stressful enough working as a tutor with numerous schedule changes, understandably stressed students, so how on earth teachers cope in the whole school environment is beyond me. This could very well be the death of any remaining rights or working conditions in schools. I for one think the government have handled the whole thing incredibly badly. They’ve allowed any idiot with a zoom account to broadcast poison into the public’s hypocritical view of teachers. Come on, Gove! Do you think we are vital experts or disposable blobs? Make yer mind up, Blobby!

18. Mrsmumbles

Yep, I agree with all of that. It started with millenialistbeejitsbposing for selfies in their pants, and is ending in full scale Narcissism. ‘Big self-delusion is stalking you‘, the posters will say! You know things are pretty dire when the only sane texts and views come out of a Bruce Robinson script....

19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Probably better to do it the other way around...

rosievoice likes this.