1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laziness that beggars belief!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by David Getling, Jul 17, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As many on this forum will know, one major tutoring website tells you when someone has viewed your profile, and gives you a good idea of where they live.

The other day, someone looking for A-level physics tuition viewed mine. They live only 5 to 10 minutes walk from me, yet this wasn't followed by an enquiry, and a further message from the website showed that they are still looking. I would place a hefty bet that the reason they didn't contact me is that they were too lazy to spend just a few minutes walking to me. When I think of how much effort some students put into coming to me it's hard not to hope that the lazy students get the grades they richly deserve.

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Clients on this type of website tend to be looking for 2 things - location is one of them, but the other is price. I suspect that they are looking for a lower hourly rate or even a free trial lesson!
    Some parents are too protective of their A level students and unwilling to let them out unsupervised for even 5-10 minutes so it's not always the clients being lazy that's the issue.

delftlover, sabrinakat and needabreak like this.
  3. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Is it possible that they decided not to on another basis? Or maybe they're looking but haven't decided if tutoring is the right call yet? Or are doing research on their own before presenting a shortlist to parents?

Also, heads up that a 5-10 minutes walk by your pace is longer by mine, and not always possible for me owing to disability. And places closer to me are often less accessible by public transport than those further away.

delftlover, sabrinakat and needabreak like this.
  4. David Getling

I guess you could be right about the price, though the £30 I charge is less than many others around here, and good physics tutors are fairly thin on the ground: as are good classroom physics teachers.

I'm very surprised at your comment about A-level students having over protective parents. That sounds really unhealthy for the kid, and doesn't bode well for them if they leave home for university.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Senior commenter

Apparently, there was a recent article in a respectable daily about the glut of private tutors. As you said yourself, @David Getling, 'everyone and his dog' is trying to get in on the act, depressing hourly rates. This year, I have noticed far fewer takers at £30 per hour, or even £20.

6. David Getling

The trouble, for short-sighted students and their parents, is that the real glut is in people who want to make an extra few bob, and think they can tutor. I mentioned physics, in particular, because this subject is all too often taught very poorly, with students not even having important concepts explained to them: probably because the teacher himself hasn't really grasped what he is pretending to teach. So God only knows what these students who get a tutor for less than £30 get from them. I'm betting the respectable daily made no attempt to warn students, and their parents, about the large number of charlatans charging silly rates. But then, as the grifters would be quick to point out, you can't con an honest man, who is prepared to pay a fair price. So, I guess these students and their parents deserve what they get.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  7. doctoryes

Just had a look at one of these tutoring sites and there are tutors offering A level Science tuition for £15 per hour in my area.

8. David Getling

A few days ago my plumber showed me a picture he had taken of some work done by cowboy builders. Basically, the result was that all the exhaust from a boiler was being sucked back in, instead of clean air. No doubt the person who employed the cowboys thought he/she had found themselves a great bargain.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

Mrsmumbles and ViolaClef like this.
  9. doctoryes

[QUOTE I'm very surprised at your comment about A-level students having over protective parents. That sounds really unhealthy for the kid, and doesn't bode well for them if they leave home for university.[/QUOTE]
    Most of my sixth form tutees still seem to be relying on the parent taxi service for going to lessons or coming to me for tuition. There is a bus top round the corner yet most are too reluctant to use it for even one way!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Some years ago I did a trek in Nepal towards Mount Everest. After a rather terrifying 8 hour drive from Kathmandu we reached the end of the road. The next day we started the trek and stopped for lunch in the grounds of a school. After walking about another 3 hours uphill we reached a village where we camped for the night. In the evening my brother and I went for a stroll and met a young boy who looked about ten and spoke surprisingly good English. After chatting a bit we discovered he went to school each day at the school where we had lunch, a 6 hour return walk each day! Rather a different attitude to education from that you would find in the UK.

11. gainly

Returning to the original point, there could be all sorts of reasons why someone viewed your profile and hasn't made an enquiry. If they are still looking maybe they will still contact you. I'm far more concerned about all the people who enquire without viewing my profile.

delftlover likes this.
  12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I can't honestly say I have ever taken any notice of those emails that say so and so has viewed your profile. The way I see it, if they want lessons they will contact me, and if not, they won't.

ajs12345 likes this.
  13. gainly

You can turn these emails off which I did many years ago as I agree they are pointless.

delftlover likes this.
  14. David Getling

I like to see them as often if I get an enquiry, months later, there's a reasonable chance I might remember the original. This then sets off alarm bells. I then know that either the the enquirer isn't serious, or that they had previously chosen someone else over me. In either event, like the very best universities, I reject such people.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Most of my sixth form tutees still seem to be relying on the parent taxi service for going to lessons or coming to me for tuition. There is a bus top round the corner yet most are too reluctant to use it for even one way![/QUOTE]
    I had one of these. My house is in a side road which intersects with over eight big bus routes. The sixth former was scared of buses. The rumblings weee if thinking of giving up. Parent busy a5 work so could drive her to me for 430. So I gave her daughter The Talk. Nicely. How To Get On And Off A Bus. How To Read Bus Route Maps. How to Not Look A Pratt when one simply must use Public Transport Whilst At University. Daughter suitably embarrassed. Now a regular. She has mastered the challenge of getting on and off free vehicles and reading bus stops. She has even got an app to help her. A month later, Mum calls in to say how pleased she is with daughters progress and that she is now ‘so confident in herself that she even uses public transport.’ Ah. They grow up so quick these days! Just another de-snowflaking service brought to you by Mrs M, your friendly neighbourhood tutor...

doctoryes, Nanny Ogg and JohnJCazorla like this.