1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laying down the law!!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by vou, Mar 28, 2011.

1. vou

vou

I have had a day where yet again I was having to exert my authority in order to get through a lesson with 6 different classes!! I hope I'm making sense here!! I go into schools and have to insist on children sitting down, being respectful while I call the register, not calling out, lay down rules and rewards, etc. You know the drill!! But today I thought to myself - why! Oh why do I have to do this with each class I have - it gets a bit tiring when you have 6 different classes in a day and this is just a primary school!! Others around you expect you to get on!! Why aren't they surprised by this behaviour? Why do the children think it's ok to 'mess about' with the supply!! I'm not talking about outright disruption but just this constant having to be on your toes the whole time!! This has just hit me squarely today!! I think I'm getting old!! Thanks for taking the trouble to read this. Just felt like getting if off my chest. A bit silly really - because that's what being a supply teacher is all about at the end of the day - just controlling the class and hoping the get the lesson across!! :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh dear. You'll have to put that one down as 'a bad one', which we all have from time to time.
    es the constant having to be on your toes & often justify yourself as a 'proper teacher' can sometimes get very wearing. We all have days like those & sympathize.
    Sometimes I remind myself of what someone said 'If you're still standing at the end of the day, that's success in this school' from someone who was permanent staff, so no wonder we have difficulties sometimes.
    Take some time off to yourself tonight & recharge your batteries.

3. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Have a large drink, love! Works for me. I know just how you feel. It's like the old teaching maxim, 'never smile before Easter'...I'd love to be cheery and friendly to kids on supply but frequently find myself being absolutely Sgt Major-ish (if that is, indeed, an adjective) because at the slightest hint of relaxation kids think they'll mess about because you are 'supply'. I have perfected the faintly surprised eyebrow and the stern glare that lets them know I cannot believe they would usually expect to behave like this and get away with it. And furthermore they are not going to in my lesson......But yeah, you're right, it's tiring.

4. Oh you have summed up how I feel about supply. Blooming hard work! A new challenge each day. I keep telling myself if I don't like the school I don't have to go back!

5. vou

vou

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post. Was a bit of a rant really but a lot of what you all say is so true and so familiar!! I feel much better now and yes, did funny enough, have a large drink on the said day!! Thank you all again for the support!! :)