1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Law degree is working against me!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by essma1, Dec 6, 2018.

1. essma1

essma1 New commenter

Hi,

I am new to this.

I need some help and advice.

I graduated with a law degree in 2008 and since then I’ve been working in various Industries and I also have had gaps in my employment due to starting family.

My most recent work has been in schools mainly secondary, working as a cover supervisor.

I really want to qualify as a teacher either English or humanities.

But I don’t know where to start.

I have spoke to many agencies and education authorities who keep telling me that I am stuck in a tricky situation given the law degree as it isn’t a sought after subject ??

I really would like to qualify as a teacher but don’t know where to start, given my situation ?

I’d like to hear back from any law graduates who are now working as teachers.

I would like to know how you got in to teaching ie what route you took and what you are teaching now ?

Thank you :)

2. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Are you certain that you want to teach secondary age? In primary your degree subject is much less important.

3. essma1

essma1 New commenter

I have primary as an option as I have been told that once i get my foot in the door ie the qts I am then able to move up to secondary ?

I would also like to get on to the salaried route via schools direct even then after speaking to academies, I’ve been told it’s difficult to secure a place unless you have been working at a designated school (one that works in partnership)

4. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Don't bank on it. In theory yes, you'd be a qualified teacher, but you'll have a primary PGCE (with primary subjects knowledge and teaching experience) and a Law degree and trying to persuade a Secondary school that you have sufficient teaching skills and subject knowledge in English. You would be at a distinct disadvantage in any interview situation.

I would strongly try to dissuade anyone who didn't want to be a primary teacher to undertake a primary PGCE. Uncertainty is one thing, but Primary PGCE as a route to secondary teaching? No.

School Direct Salaried places are as rare as hen's teeth, that's true. There are others here who know more about School Direct who may be able to add advice.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you want to teach English or history then you must improve your subject knowledge, or only a terrible school will employ you. The Open Uni offer a range of modules, for example - you can study them as stand-alone modules, without going for a degree.

6. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

There is no reason why a law degree should hold you back.

Getting a salaried Schools Direct position is exceptionally hard so why not just apply to do training at university or at a SCITT?

You will often find that unsalaried positions have bursaries which mean you get paid more than in a salaried position.