1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laura Hall-battle with booze.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Did anyone watch this on BBC3 the other day?
    I'm just catching up on it now and finding the whole thing incredibly sad.

2. Did anyone watch this on BBC3 the other day?
    I'm just catching up on it now and finding the whole thing incredibly sad.

3. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

So, who is she?

4. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

It was horrible viewing. I couldn't stop looking at her arms. She clearly needs help, but the help she was given was too late.

5. I know, her arms were really shocking.
    I was quite taken aback at the rate in which she could guzzle all of her drinks.

6. Who is she? I can't be bothered to google.

7. captain oats

The friends around her didn't help much, I could not watch a friend of mine get themselves into that kind of state.

1) I would be very embarrassed
    2) I would worry for her safety.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Watching it on iPlayer now.
    Was going to get a bottle of wine in for tonight but I don't think I'll bother now. [​IMG]

9. captain oats

The first person to be banned from buying alcohol anywhere in the UK.

10. My goodness. What an acheivement.

How depressing.

*guzzles the Prosecco*

11. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Yes, **cracks open bottle No2 of Chardonnay**

12. Perhaps the friends didn't know how to stop her. It was made quite clear that she was incredibly aggressive when drinking so they may have even been scared to try and stop her. Perhaps they felt it would be better to just be there and make sure she is 'safe' rather than leave her to it.

13. Has she bred yet? If not, may I suggest some knot tying before she spawns another generation of equally delicate English roses?

cyolba, eugenics has had a bad press :)

14. Yeah, all very well to be glib, but what turned a nice, ordinary girl into that?
    She self-harmed as well, don't forget.

15. Actually, she was just that as a young girl.

16. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

The friend she was on holiday with didn't seem to be too far behind her in the drinking stakes. Very sad viewing altogether.

17. I haven't seen this, but wrt the friends not stopping her, I know from experience that it's not possible to stop someone who's determined to drink more from doing so. And once they've had enough to drink, there's not much you can do to stop them doing whatever they want.
    In the end, if you can't stand watching helplessly, you stop seeing them. Sad but true.

18. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Watching it now. She says she's ashamed of the notoriety. Not what she set out to do.
    Growing up her ambitions included being a police officer... school teacher... dancer.
    Sad.[​IMG]

19. I'm 15 minutes in and I must be the only person in the country she hasn't yet blamed for her plight!
    They expect me to fail, so I do??? What was that?????

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I watched it the other night and was thinking about it whilst driving to work the following day. What struck me was that she's probably no worse than many other people in terms of her consumption, but that her agression when drunk has led to her notoriety.
    I thought the whole story was very sad, I did wonder how she funded her habit, and her holiday abroad, as she didn't appear to be working.