1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Launch of consultation into professional association for tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by thetutorsassoc, May 23, 2013.

1. I agree. Some tutors offer to teach any subject they have a GCSE in, and as a parent and prospective customer, I'd require more qualifications than that. But we don't need a regulatory body whose bosses would make a good living from the subs we'd have to pay them.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

and we certainly do not need to pay for it! I teach 3 languages but one of them I only have GCSE and have done a week's intensive course abroad. I offer this language to absolute beginners and make it clear that there is only so far I can go. In this area, it's not a popular GCSE subject and most of my customers for this are retired people who just want a few pleasantries. So they are happy with this and so am I. I do not need a regulatory body to tell me which subjects I can teach at which level. My common sense tells me this. I did business plan when I started and looked at my competitors and to be honest, I ruled out anyone who was unqualified as I do not see them as competition. Think I may do my own straw poll around parents / clients (many of my clients are adults) to see if they considered an unqualified teacher.

3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I think a lot of us would be interested in the results of such a poll.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

am away for a few weeks after this week so will definitely do it when I get back.....the joys of private tutoring.....no school hols!

5. profmatt

profmatt New commenter

I have been teaching for over 20 years and have been a private tutor for over seven of those.Tutoring is now my full-time occupation. I operate as a limited company and discourage payments in cash as my bank charges me more for these. I pay corporation tax and make annual returns to Companies House.

The majority of my students come from recommendations. Most of my students have regular weekly lessons for one, two or even three years. I took on a student who had obtained only E's and U's in his modules after a year and a half at school. Three months later he resat his entire A level and got an A*. One of my students -- an adult in his late twenties -- travels three hours each way for his lessons with me. I have tutored over 200 students since I started and regularly have to turn students away as I'm too busy.

I believe strongly in continuous professional development and have probably done more hours of this each year than most school teachers.

I am not a qualified teacher and my work is not regulated by a statutory or other body. And I'm very glad of that. My "clients" are typically successful wealthy parents. In other words, they're grown-ups who can make their own decisions.

Regulation will simply lead to increased cost, or artificial barriers. I think parents and their children are more than able to discern whether they are getting good tutoring. If they weren't, they would simply not come back and not write the cheques.

My motivation is love of my subject and a passion for teaching it. I derive huge satisfaction from helping young people. I found it very hard to do what I enjoy in a school environment. As a tutor I'm much, much happier and I believe I'm doing a very good job. If I weren't I wouldn't be able to make a living out of it.

The market regulates me. Long may it be so.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Excellent, well spotted TutorPages! and thanks for all other comments against this ridiculous idea!

7. David Getling

Adam, while you and I would agree that an association is totally unnecessary, we are both qualified, and experience teachers.

Do you not think it is a bad thing that any Tom, Dick or Harry, without a relevant degree or teaching qualification, can set themselves up as a tutor?

When I see someone offering tutoring for £5 I get very worried, both about the quality of their teaching, and in case they might have an ulterior motive.

8. profmatt

profmatt New commenter

First off, I've never seen a private tutor advertising for £5 per hour. Any reasonable parent would shop around before committing themselves and would soon wonder why that tutor was so much cheaper than all the others.

And what ulterior motive do you fear such a tutor might have? Are you suggesting that being a qualified teacher is a guarantee of child protection? The Jeremy Forrest trial would suggest otherwise.

Do you also think that a student or parent would be unable to discern that they are paying for poor quality teaching?

And, as I said in my earlier post, I am not a qualified teacher. Despite that I've taught in schools ranked in the top ten in both the USA and the UK. (Which means, presumably, they thought I was good enough to hire, despite my lack of QTS.)

I oppose this scheme because it will add a layer of cost and bureaucracy to my business that I do not wish to bear. Qualifications -- up to and including QTS -- are no guarantee of quality. Every schools inspector since Chris Woodhead has been at pains to point that out.

9. David Getling

We only have your word for this. But, even if it is true (and the same goes for your other comments, like the one about Jeremy Forest) this is akin to arguing that my smoking grandfather lived to 100, so smoking is OK.

Think of the driving test. There are most certainly some people out there who haven't yet passed but are very good drivers. However they have to prove it before being let lose on the road. Likewise, there are some appalling drivers that have passed, but we do not use this as an argument to scrap the test.

You like many others are arguing purely out of self interest. And, at the risk of the pot calling the kettle black, your pseudonym suggests that you might have a rather high opinion of your own teaching skills. To use your own style of argument, there are some fairly poor teachers in even the best schools.

Actually, they often can't tell, because most are used to poor quality teaching in their school - they don't know any better.

10. profmatt

profmatt New commenter

For the record, these comments are the reason I'm not going to engage with you on these forums any more. If you can't make a case without being personal, I'm not interested in reading your views.

11. profmatt

profmatt New commenter

The greatest imprimatur of quality is, of course, the government and the Department for Education in particular.

These helpful notes explain how to construct a box plot. If you scroll down to the Worked Examples section, you'll see box plots miraculously constructed from only four of the five numbers required.

But what do I know. I'm not a qualified teacher.

www.education.gov.uk/.../box-and-whiskers

12. adamcreen

Do you not think it is a bad thing that any Tom, Dick or Harry, without a relevant degree or teaching qualification, can set themselves up as a tutor?

The TTA, as proposed, would be a voluntary register of tutors and agencies. There would still be nothing to stop TDH from setting themselves up as a tutor. It would be up to parents to decide if they wanted to use someone on the register or someone who wasn't. I wouldn't be, but they would see I was a successful Head of Maths and still employ me. They'd look at TDH and use them if they didn't care.

13. adamcreen

re box & whiskers, I answered this on a Maths thread.