1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Launch of consultation into professional association for tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by thetutorsassoc, May 23, 2013.

1. The Centre for Market Reform of Education is launching a consultation on plans for a new national association for tutors to develop industry standards and improve the consistency of private tutoring practice. The Tutors Association Consultation will be seeking industry input on the rationale for this initiative, and its proposals for the constitution of the association, its remit, membership requirements, codes of professional conduct and proposed member benefits.

Recognising the challenges posed by previous government-led initiatives, the Centre for Market Reform of Education (CMRE), together with a number of leading industry providers, began developing proposals for a new professional association in June 2012, and is today launching an industry-wide consultation on its proposals. The Tutoring Association Consultation will be seeking to develop industry standards and accreditation for tutors and tutoring providers alike, and to disseminate guidance for those procuring their services.

The consultation opens today and is running until the 17th of July 2013. The results of the consultation will thereafter be published in a report one month after the end of the consultation period. Respondents’ comments and recommendations will inform the constitution and development of the association.

As tutors, we would appreciate your full and considered response to the proposals outlined in the consultation document. A copy of these proposals is available for download at http://www.thetutorsassociation.org.uk. I look forward to engaging with you and considering your response. Please do get in touch with me at ablackburn@thetutorsassociation.org.uk if you would like further information.

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

3. Somebody has sniffed out a business opportunity and wants to make a living out of "regulating tutors". Get a proper job. You're not getting your hands on my money.

4. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

As a private tutor, If I don't improve grades and give my students confidence, then I will get no referrals and my business will quickly collapse. As a parent, I pay good money to the tutor of my own choosing to help my KS2 son - and it is up to me, and no-one else, to choose that tutor. If I have a private arrangement with an individual to provide me with a service, why should someone else dictate the terms under which those services are provided?

5. Because someone has detected a nice potential earner, and hopes to make a good living from our registration fees.

6. Georginalouise

Ok Bobvincent, we've had the odd scrap in the past but I am with you on this one. As a private tutor, the key word is "private". The arrangement is with myself as the tutor and my client - in which case my track record speaks for itself. In my capacity as a parent I should be completely free to choose the person I pay to tutor my child, in exactly the same way in which I am free to choose the person I pay to provide my groceries or to clean my house. My children attend a state school, for which I expect a certain standard, because as a taxpayer I am indirectly footing the bill. Once I leave the state system, I don't expect the state to take responsibility. Neither do I expect them to interfere with my freedom to take decisions (for which I don't expect them to take any financial responsibility either). I really should go to bed because I am just getting more and more angry....

7. I've paid for my teaching degree, I've paid for my PGCE, I've paid for my membership of the Institute for Learning, I've paid for my CRB checks - and I've paid my Tax. If i need a kite mark of approval on my tutoring website, then I will draw my own symbol - I will probably use a £ sign !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. My thoughts exactly...

9. This extract is taken from the consultation document:

tutors hold university degree in the subject tutored (or broadly comparable field5) for

secondary aged pupils and those in 6th form and above; or general graduate degree for

subjects tutored at the primary level (copies of qualification certificates acceptable; for

overseas educated tutors, documentation showing steps taken to authenticate/verify,

such as the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC)6 qualification

comparison) (TEFL or CELTA are acceptable for EFL only)

Sorry, but many maths teachers in state schools would not meet this criterion. How about the science teachers who hold a degree in biology, for example, but who teach physics and chemistry in our schools?

This whole thing is just insane. If we (highly-qualified) private tutors just ignore it, it will just have to go away!

10. The Tutor Pages is conducting a survey of the views of freelance tutors on the proposals for The Tutors Association (TTA).

If you are a freelance tutor in the UK, do take part here:

www.surveymonkey.com/.../TutorpagesTTA1

Some points to bear in mind:

- all concerns raised in the survey were raised by individual tutors;

- The Tutor Pages is the only organisation publicly highlighting these issues;

- all questions in the survey are based on the specific wording of TTA proposals and on other information about TTA in the public domain;

- if the proposals for TTA are robust, then any criticisms resulting from the survey will contribute to its success;

- for transparency, The Tutor Pages will be publishing all the quantitative data gathered by the survey.

11. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Definitely fill in this survey! There is plenty of opportunity for saying what a ridiculous set of proposals they are. This will benefit no one other than tutoring agencies already fleecing their workers and the CMRE and its money-making scheme.

In the final box on the survey I wrote:

As a Head of Mathematics for 13 years in a state comprehensive; a tutor of KS3, GCSE, A Level and University Maths; an Oxford Maths graduate; having tutored students from every secondary school in the local area; I do not see the need for or have any intention of joining a self-appointed "regulatory" body which will require money for membership, when parents are happy with the provision that is already available.

12. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

I have completed the survey too. I already have sorted out my CRB/DBS check, public liability insurance, CPD courses, accountant for tax return, and increased home insurance to cover teaching from home. Too many more fees will simply send me to work in a low-skilled job at a supermarket and rely on Govt top-ups. Gaaa!

13. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

To a very large degree I detest this idea. However, a tiny bit of me wonders if this would be a way of getting rid of the vast number of cowboy tutors in the Enfield area, where I live. Or would they, like unlicensed cabs, still be a scourge?

One of the things that used to put me off moving to France was the amount of job regulation. But now that I've experienced the effects of being undercut by people who are patently unsuited to be working as tutors a bit of regulation does seem in order. I'm quite capable of doing a lot of my own electrical and plumbing work, but if, without the appropriate qualification, I tried to sell my services I'd be in a lot of trouble. Surely unqualified people shouldn't be let lose on kids, just because parents, who don't know any better, want to save a few quid.

14. I would be happy to answer this survey, were it not for the fact that it requests name and location details.

As to the proposal itself:

1. in my opinion, the document fails to explain adequately the benefits that would accrue to any "individual tutor" member (which term is undefined, AFAICS). I see a bunch of commitments that are required of them (Schedule 8) but little to suggest membership would be worthwhile.

2. It seems that Schedule 8 was written by someone who could condescend for England. I suspect most tutors have little need of a list of suggestions of how best to run their business, particularly one that includes such gems as "12. I will be on time for tutoring appointments, not only out of courtesy, but also to be a good example to my pupils.". Such insight! And why do these strictures not apply also in Schedule 7? Hmm, a mystery.

3. The true reason for the proposal, I suspect, can be divined from the clause 14 in this section, to wit:

"14. In situations where I am working for a tutoring company, I will respect the terms and conditions of my contract, and in particular, will not seek to work or provide any services for any of the company’s clients independently of the company."

This, in itself, is bizarre. Firstly, it merely restates the requirements of contract law. Secondly, it attempts to insert an additional contractual clause into any contract signed between an "individual tutor" member, and a "tutoring company" (which term, also, is undefined). It's not at all clear to me how such a term would, or could, affect any other contract. And it's notable that there seems to be no corresponding commitment in the opposite direction, from "tutoring company" towards "individual tutor".

However, the rationale of the document is laid clear here: the tutoring world (in the minds of the CMRE) is divided into two groups, namely "tutoring companies", of foremost rank, and "individual tutors", who are resources to be "employed" by said companies. The proposal, I suspect, is little more than the start of a process whereby the so-called "individual tutors" are corralled, first by "self regulation", but later by statute, into providing services only via the benevolent and watchful eye of Tutors Association (no apostrophe?) and their "tutoring company" members.

And it is the purest coincidence that the Tutors Association will rake in nice fat fees every year for doing so.

And for those reasons, I'm out.

15. I too am hesitant about completing the survey as it asks for my name and location. I agree with all those who have posted here that it seems to be a money making exercise for the Tutors Association.

16. Georginalouise

There is an underlying theme, possibly put about by the tuition companies, that all independent tutors have to be "cowboys". In the town where I live, there are two tuition companies, and one tried very hard to persuade me that I would be far more "credible" if I worked for them and I wouldn't have to advertise so could save on the costs. I pointed out that my minimal advertising costs wouldn't be covered by the £10 per hour less that they wished to pay me. They "guaranteed" me work, but of course, they also wanted to take over my client list and my school contacts. As I would still be self-employed, I couldn't see what the guarantee would be. There are some very good, completely independent tutors who operate very professional businesses. I think we are seen as a threat, and that our existence is a reminder to parents that there is an alternative to tuition companies and centres. And no, I'm not going to complete the survey!

17. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I am an independent tutor, and I would be the first to argue that we provide much better service than these companies, where a student usually has to share their tutor with 3 or more others.

However, I expect tutors to be qualified teachers, with a decent amount of school teaching experience behind them. I see far too many adverts by people who are not qualified experienced teachers. They undercut the people who could do a proper job - like rogue minicab drivers, who people sometimes come to serious grief with, for the sake a few quid.

18. As someone who is not a qualified teacher, with no school teaching experience behind me, I take exception to the implication that I must be akin to a rogue minicab driver - I work hard to tailor my lessons to my individual students' needs, and use resources on the exam boards' websites to prepare my students for exams. I was unable to complete a teacher training course due to stress - does that mean I should not be able to earn my living as a private tutor?

19. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Personally, if I was paying for one to one tuition, I would want someone who was qualified. I would not employ an unqualified plumber / electrician etc and I would not get my hair done by an unqualified hairdresser. Not saying you shouldn't be allowed but unqualified would not be my choice.