1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Laua Kuenssberg and Postal Votes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Dec 11, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Laura Kuenssberg, the BBC Political Editor, has commented on how the postal votes are trending. This could well be a flagrant breach of electoral law. As if the BBC isn't in enough hot water over its bias already, this compounds it.

https://twitter.com/asankade/status/1204777087485255685

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Twitter. It must be true.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Watching this video:

https://twitter.com/Carolin31152898/status/1204748359963234304

She says she got her information from people in both parties and that they shouldn't be seeing it... that the postal votes are 'grim for Labour'...

I don't see it was Kuenssberg [ever popular whipping girl of the left] breaking electoral law but the parties... after all we've see electoral fraud with postal votes before...

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Utter bolleaux!

Postal votes are not opened until the polling stations are open. To do otherwise is illegal.

Twitter garbage!

Kandahar likes this.
  5. MAGAorMIGA

Postal votes may be opened before the official count begins, but only under carefully controlled conditions. They MUST be placed face down in piles, and any attempt to see how people have voted is illegal, and heavy penalties are available for breaches.

https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1202599822550802433
    With apologies for referring to Twitter, this from the Electoral Commission no less.

6. MAGAorMIGA

"It may be an offence to communicate any information obtained at postal vote opening sessions, including about votes cast, before a poll has closed. Anyone with information to suggest this has happened should report it immediately to the police."

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

That's even worse.

She has stated Labour doing poorly in postal votes. She must know that she can't do that. And she ought to be passing on the names of whoever claims to know what's happening regarding postal votes.

It's horrendous. She may well be in serious trouble

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

harsh-but-fair, nizebaby and nomad like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

More likely to be news that will encourage the young to vote. Who does postal votes? I'll tell you the sort of people who do. My elderly residents, because they struggle to make it to the polling station and they want to make sure they get their vote in, in case they wake up dead tomorrow.

Kandahar and nizebaby like this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It's a massive misconception that it's only "young" people who use twitter.

harsh-but-fair and oldsomeman like this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's the extent they use it that matters.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

No. The "young" don't use Twitter any more than oldies.
    Instagram, on the other hand...

nizebaby likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I remember the BBC reporter on a breakfast show telling students they can vote in 2 places, and can vote by telephone.
    I wrote an email complaining to the breakfast show but basically they ignored me.

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

You’re not allowed to disclose information about postal votes before the vote has closed. If she’d left it at ‘people on both sides think it’s looking grim for Labour” and hadn’t prefaced it with ‘The postal votes have already arrived. The parties, they’re not meant to look at it but they do kind of get a hint’ there wouldn’t be a problem. But she did, so there is.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Does my vote look good on instagram?

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

they can register to vote in two places but in a general election vote only in one. In local elections they can vote in both provided they are different political boroughs because they count as separate elections

ajrowing likes this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How does that work then?

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't have a Scooby.

19. MAGAorMIGA

If any counting of postal votes has happened at all, it is illegal, and it was Laura Kuenssberg's duty to draw attention to it to the police, not indulge in nudge-nudge, wink-wink "it's looking grim for Labour" innuendo.

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

A member of my badminton club is at uni. He registered to vote both at home and at uni. He has received a polling card for both constituencies.