1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latin GCSE possible?

Discussion in 'Classics' started by rookielatina, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Is it possible for a very small group to reach GCSE standard from scratch in two years on 2.5 hours' teaching a week?

2. Is it possible for a very small group to reach GCSE standard from scratch in two years on 2.5 hours' teaching a week?

3. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

If they're motivated - yes.
    Used to do it with the old O Levels as well but stopped teaching Latin c 20 years ago, so no great tips, except structure it really well so that the students and parents can see the progress required ie a simplified scheme of work each term.

4. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Yes. My last two groups have had only 1.5 hours a week. You will find it stressful however, continuously thinking of short cuts. We were using CLC and I had to miss out so many of the lovely stories. I got quite resentful of the management forcing this on me so I've packed it in and moved elsewhere. Remember you have the literature to prepare as well; it's not just a language.
    re set books: Interlinear translation + notes + David Carter's most useful booklets are the way to go. You can save a hell of a lot of time. Do Terry Bird's running vocabs cover the GCSE set books? If so they would be invaluable.

5. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

One of my old teachers, incidentally. Pity he hadn't produced them back in the '60s......

6. mpc

mpc

Could you consider a short course or the WJEC certificates as an alternative to full GCSE? That would cut down on the amount you would have to cover.

7. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Sorry to disagree. GCSE or bust! Who's going to understand the worth of a 'certificate' in Latin? I hope the Welsh board cert eventually is recognised as a GCSE. It is pretty scandalous that it hasn't been when you think of what is required to make sense of Latin. I reckon OCR will have been lobbying behind the scenes for it to have the inferior status. How I wish dear AQA still ran Latin at GCSE.

8. Do the WJEC certificates. The pupils can do Level 1 (marked A* down, but for level 1 not level 2 so make sure no parents/SMT are unclear about that) if they don't make Level 2, so everyone gets a qualification of some kind even if they can't continue to the end of your course. For those who are happy to do the whole lot (which hopefully will be all of them!) you can do Level 2 language/civ and Level 2 literature separately, so you could get them to Level 2 language/civ in the time you have up to Y11 and maybe do level 2 literature in year 12, so they get 2 qualifications equivalent to GCSE in the end, and any who struggle to do the year 12 course, or change school after GCSE, still get at least one GCSE equivalent.

9. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

I worry about the term 'GCSE equivalent'. Will parents/future employers understand this? Does it say on the cert that it equates to a GCSE grade...? If not I see problems ahead.

10. I suspect that seeing the word "Latin" on the list of achievements would say enough in itself. Employers are very aware of the numerous different qualifications that are available. For those of Classics "professionals" the difference between one type of examination and another is of some significance. But I don't think that sort of hierarchical thinking is prevalent outside academia. Besides, a GCSE at grades A*-D is a Level 2 qualification anyway, so there is no difference at all. If someone gets less than a grade D at GCSE, it is a Level 1 qualification.

11. lemoni122, would you mind spelling out what these are? Thanks so much.