1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latin for adults

Discussion in 'Classics' started by kahlan21, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I wondered if anyone could recommend a beginner's Latin course for adults? I offer private tuition in Latin and will soon have an adult as one of my tutees and would like to find an appropriate textbook. Any advice? Thank you!

2. I wondered if anyone could recommend a beginner's Latin course for adults? I offer private tuition in Latin and will soon have an adult as one of my tutees and would like to find an appropriate textbook. Any advice? Thank you!

3. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Depends on the personality and ability of the learner IMO.
    The
    CLC is fun for any age, and an adult will whip through the first book,
    which will build confidence. I believe that by judicious use of the Info
    about the Language pages in Books 1-4 and a few stories, a bright adult can get to
    reading set books in 10-12 hours. But if the adult expects trad Latin,
    then SYRWTLL?? Though in my view it teaches too much in one go. I've
    heard a lot of adults enjoy Ecce Romani.

4. Thanks. I teach with CLC at school but was worried it might be too simplistic for adults, but you are right - it might give them a sense of achievement. Personally I enjoy Ecce Romani but no-one else I know seems to. And I agree that SYRWTLL is a bit overwhelming. Thanks for the advice.

5. Ecce Romani- still ! I was taught from that text in the seventies - feeling very nostalgic now !