1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Latin for Adults

Discussion in 'Classics' started by gossypion, Mar 24, 2011.

1. That's a hard question. I've done some of it, but mostly with elderly people (I have led a U3A Latin group for four years). My first problem is always in deciding how seriously they want to learn.
    If they have 'done' Latin to some level in earlier years, I begin by offering them a couple of easy, short texts on a subject that they will recognize, which either makes them give the idea up immediately, or raises their enthusiasm — there never seems to be any havering: always one result or the other. It's no problem then for the real enthusiasts, whom I ask to buy a Kennedy for reference while I develop the syntax as fast as they can respond. I think that any textbook, within reason, would do in such circumstances.
    If they have had no Latin at all, I begin by talking about the grammar of the languages that they do have. If they once have enough grasp of accidence systems, it becomes quite easy to lead them up to Latin before continuing as with those having some previous experience.
    If you would like to go into this a bit further, why not send me a PM?

2. andromache

andromache New commenter

3. I've tried that, Andromache, but it seems a bit too concentrated for older people, who prefer a gentle lead-up to things.
    I haven't found an easy answer. The main thing is to keep 'em at it. How long it takes for the grammar to 'click' varies greatly. My students are aged from 62 to 85, and I give them two hours a week. It takes a minimum of twelve weeks to develop any speed, mainly because of difficulty in acquiring vocabulary.

4. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

5. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

I recommend Latin Practice Exercises 1 (oiginally Ab Initio) by R C Bass. It has no pictures but it's a solid introduction - designed for Common Entrance but covers everything you need and is ideal for committed learners. There are other books in the series too if your students get really interested.